Laptop startup stuck at boot loop after a GPU overclock

Elmadus

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015
Hello.

My Asus laptop that i've had for 4 years now, has kinda let me down.

The whole problem started when i was just browsing the net looking o for some used cars, just for fun. Suddently the pc just froze. I couldn't do anything. Only my mouse moved, but clicking anything would do nothing.

So i did a forced shutdown, because i couldn't do anything else. Now when i try to boot it back up, it gets stuck on the windows boot loop, and just rolls the white dots around doing nothing.

I've tried to fix it in windows recovery mode by doing the automatic repair, but like it would help. I've also tried to get into safe boot mode, but it gets stuck getting in there again in teh windows boot loop without the white dots.

So if there's is anything i could do to fix this problem, please tell me.

Thank you

EDIT: I actually did try to overclock my GPU (on a laptop, yes) with MSI Afterburner, and tried to keep it under safe temperatures. Could this be the reason for my pc not booting up completely? :sarcastic:

Solution
Try the post with a lot of mights in it before the 1st post. The further you get down page, the less you get to keep on C drive.

You could try to just install win 10 over top of itself by not choosing custom install but no guarantee it will work or fix anything. It may just waste your time and start looping again, but you could get a chance to save files on C.

But if none of these work, you would lose all files on C drive.

I don't suppose you have back ups? or another partition on the drive? First time I lost all my data was probably the last time too... i have backups of backups... paranoid.

Dakiestyle

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
If window repair isnt gonna fix it, your better off just doing a fresh reinstall.

if you do choose to do a reinstall, make sure you check if your laptop has a recovery drive, this way you will have the Asus software etc already installed.

Elmadus

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015

I don't think it has a deticated drive for recovering stuff. If you mean by this that it can make a folder for recovering stuff, then it could be possible

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did laptop have win 8 or win 7 on it?

If win 8, its probably formatted as GPT already
If Win 7, it probably isn't. This means during full install process they will be forced to delete all partitions on the drive so Win 10 can format it as GPT. This would remove the recovery drive. But as I said below, that may not be a bad thing.

Don't worry about GPT, Win 10 install will look after it. Its covered in the 2nd link below anyway. (what GPT is, if you curious: http://www.howtogeek.com/193669/whats-the-difference-between-gpt-and-mbr-when-partitioning-a-drive/)

You will need to use another pc to download this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

Easiest way to do this is follow this: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2784691/ditch-problematic-win10-upgrade-replace-clean-install.html

Recovery drive is semi useful, all the software drivers are probably old versions. If it were a new laptop that came with Win 10 installed, then it would be worth saving.

Elmadus

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015
Actuall my laptop has a windows 10 in it. Does it make any diffence?

Also i forgot to mention that this problem could be caused by the fact that i tried to overclok my GPU (yes on a laptop) but it wasn't under a stress because all i was doing was browsing on some used cars so i thought it couldn't be the problem

Colif

Win 11 Master
It has Win 10 on it now. Did you update from a previous version of Windows or already do a fresh install of Win 10?

Win 10 wasn't out 4 years ago when you got it.

Yes, overclock could cause instability. It shouldn't break windows though

Elmadus

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015

Yup, i updated it from windows 8

Colif

Win 11 Master
Okay, so you won't lose any partitions except the C drive if you clean install since Win 8 used GPT. The recovery drive might be handy after all. I don't know how you access it but its bound to be on the Asus web site faq for your laptop

Elmadus

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015

Hmm... I might try that. But is there any ways to for example remove MSI Afterburner, or the drivers for my Nvidia GPU?

Colif

Win 11 Master
If you weren't in a boot loop, maybe

you can use the install disc to boot up, and after the screen where it asks for languages, you choose Repair this PC, NOT INSTALL
Select troubleshoot
now from here you can try a reset though since you tried auto repair, not sure it would work
from the advanced options menu you can try to get back into safe mode using the Start up settings, option 4... but that may just start the boot loop off. If you can get to safe mode, you can uninstall those two things
You can also try running system restore from this same menu... it might work.. lots of mights here :)

Elmadus

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015

Yep, alot of mights. :D

And you were right about the safe mode boot loop... It gets stuck loading on the blue windows logo, but without white dots? And i don't have any install discs... :/

Colif

Win 11 Master

I linked to the Windows 10 download in my 1st post. You can make your own if you have another pc you can download it on.

Elmadus

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015

Oh right... But i could do it on a USB -drive too right?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yes, it makes either a dvd or a USB, its your choice.

Make sure to make it right language and version (32 or 64bit) as you have now, language just makes it easier for you in long run (I made one using wrong language last time and had to change a lot of settings to get it right again)

Elmadus

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015

So i Basically follow the direction you gave me on your first awnser? What about my files? Will there be anything left?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try the post with a lot of mights in it before the 1st post. The further you get down page, the less you get to keep on C drive.

You could try to just install win 10 over top of itself by not choosing custom install but no guarantee it will work or fix anything. It may just waste your time and start looping again, but you could get a chance to save files on C.

But if none of these work, you would lose all files on C drive.

I don't suppose you have back ups? or another partition on the drive? First time I lost all my data was probably the last time too... i have backups of backups... paranoid.

Solution