Question Laptop Stopped Detecting Second Monitor

Stormbane

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2012
Hey, everyone.
I have an old HP laptop that I got for school about 5 years ago. I spend nearly all of my non-gaming time on it while using an HDMI connection to my desktop's monitor to extend the display.
Yesterday, I woke it up from sleep and it bluescreened (System Thread Exception Not Handled, igdkmd64.sys). Immediately after it went through the data-gathering and whatever, I restarted it and it stopped recognising the second monitor. Before that, all I would have to do is plug in the HDMI cable and it works instantly. Now, nothing works.
Laptop runs Windows 10 after getting that free upgrade from 8.1 however many years ago.
What I've tried so far:
-updating drivers - Intel HD Graphics 4600 and NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M
-unplugging and replugging in the HDMI cable
-trying a different HDMI cable
-restarting the laptop with the cable plugged in
-restarting the laptop without the cable plugged in
-uninstalling the "Generic PnP Monitor" driver via Device Manager and re-detecting new hardware
-Windows key + P
-Display Settings -> Detect = "Didn't detect another display."
-just FYI, it's not the monitor itself as it works fine with my desktop

Anyone have any ideas? Could the BSOD have...broken the HDMI port or something? Also please use relatively small words. I'm not nearly as tech-savvy as a lot of people here.
It's amazing how rubbish it is having to use a single monitor after having relied on 2 for so long. I do all of my digital art-related stuff on this laptop as that's where everything's already set up. I have NOT had it in me to open Photoshop and try to work on this smaller built-in display whilst alt-tabbing to references or whatever I'd be doing on the second display.

TRENDING THREADS