[SOLVED] Laptop stops charging while gaming ?

partiesplayin

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
My laptop is a
MSI GE63 RAIDER RGB-051
with 8750H cpu and Rtx 2080 gpu

Recently ive noticed the laptop will switch to battery power while gaming or using other gpu demanding tasks. Which will severely hinder the gpu and cpu performance.
If i unplug the power supply from the wall and plug it back in then the "plugged in " power will resume for a short while then it will switch back to battery power again. And its not a setting because ive already checked that .

Im assuming this is a power delivery issue as it is a relatively new issue and unplugging the ac adapter and plugging it back in fixes this issue for a short while.

The AC adapter is ADP-280BB B 20v 14A 280w power adapter.

Is there a power adapter for this laptop that would be considered an upgrade like 350W or similar that i could get so i don't have these issues any longer ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your laptop. Also, which version of Windows 10 are you working with? If they are both up to date, see if reinstalling your chipset drivers changes anything. You could also try and remove the battery listed under Device Manager and then reboot the laptop to see if that helps. How old is the laptop? Perhaps the battery just needs replacing if it's old.

Lutfij

Titan
Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your laptop. Also, which version of Windows 10 are you working with? If they are both up to date, see if reinstalling your chipset drivers changes anything. You could also try and remove the battery listed under Device Manager and then reboot the laptop to see if that helps. How old is the laptop? Perhaps the battery just needs replacing if it's old.

Solution

partiesplayin

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
The laptop is 1 year old. but use probably like 3 of those 12 months. I haven't checked for any windows updates lately nor have i bothered looking for bios updates since this issue is recent. But i will look into your suggestions and reply back.

Edit: i have windows 10 home edition and i was behind on 1 update. it was .net framework update. no bios update

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS