Question Laptop Stuck in Automatic Repair Loop - Files WON'T transfer to different device?

Ryan408

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013
So I have an Asus Q504U, Windows 10 64-bit (latest or 2nd to latest update; i.e. Nov 2019-ish), 12 GB RAM, 1TB storage (which is the issue at hand). On it, there are about 120-200 GB of family photos, school work, and other things.

In November the laptop turned off during a Windows Update and has been stuck in an Automatic Repair Loop since. (this is why I can't tell you which Windows update it is). The specific error message was "C:\Windows\System32\logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt"

What I have tried:

I removed the 2.5" SATA 1TB Seagate internal hard drive. Then, I bought a SATA to USB 3.0 cable to hook it up to a separate laptop that I have. The different laptop will not recognize the now "external" hard drive.

I did try the Windows Startup Repair; it did not work. I tried turning on and off the laptop; it did not work. I tried the restore function (without deleting personal files); it did not work. These were done on the original laptop.

I have tried several Command Prompt stuff from online; from chkdsk to bcd rebuild to DISKPART. I cannot tell if they have worked as a different laptop will not recognize the hard drive.

I am ready to retry any, and all if need be, of these previous strategies. I don't know what else to do.

Please advise.

Ryan408

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013
instead of SATA to USB 3.0 cable, try an external enclosure?

All right, I'll try that. I think you're suggesting that maybe the USB 3.0 not providing enough power to the ?

I just ordered one and it should come in Monday.

I'm still worried about what to do with the drive itself.
I know it won't boot because of its Windows issues.

Would you know anyway to fix that so I can still use my other laptop?