Laptop Stuck In infinite boot loop

NhatNi

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016
Hello,

I have a Lenovo Y700 touch 15-ISK. I bought this recently and it is stuck in a infinite boot loop where the laptop will reach the Lenovo screen for about 10 seconds before crashing (without blue screen, computer just dies) and restarts the entire process again. Also during the crash I hear a single click sound from the hard drive. Is this the hard drive's fault? I tried removing the Hard drive and I was able to access the BIOS successfully. So it seems the issue is linked with the Hard Drive.

Please help me. Thank you!

Solution
Well, if the laptop is a new one, you can just contact the place you got it from and RMA it.
Yeah, I believe you can get a hard drive or an SSD and install it. Yet, I believe it may be a good idea to make sure that the old drive is causing the problems.

D_Know_WD :)
Hi there NhatNi,

Yes, most probably all of this is caused by a failing/failed HDD.
My suggestion would be to attach the drive to another computer with SATA to USB adapter(externally) or SATA & power cables internally.
After that, you can try to access the drive right away. In case you can't do that, you can run some data recovery software: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1644496/lost-data-recovery.html
After that, you can run some testing: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility

Keep in mind that you may not be able to access the drive with software tools as this clicking sounds could indicate mechanical flaw.

If the drive is under warranty, I believe you can just RMA it.

Cheers,

NhatNi

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016

So to test with another USB is to basically try to boot windows via a USB right? Or am I testing to see if the issue lies within the mother board?

We are talking about an internal, OS drive right?
You attach the drive to another computer(not the same one), in order to test it and try to retrieve the data if needed. You need to do this, as you system can't boot.
You can attach the drive to another system either externally(USB to SATA) or internally to a desktop machine. You will not be able to boot from the drive, when attached to a different machine.

Basically, you do this because you need a working OS, in order to use some software tools in order to diagnose the drive.
Most probably there is nothing wrong with the MOBO but with the drive.

NhatNi

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016

Ahh I see. So I'm connecting the failed hdd to a existing computer with a stable OS to possibly recover the data. However, since I bought the laptop new, I don't care about the data. I just want the laptop to work haha. So do I buy a new hdd or ssd and install windows on that?

Well, if the laptop is a new one, you can just contact the place you got it from and RMA it.
Yeah, I believe you can get a hard drive or an SSD and install it. Yet, I believe it may be a good idea to make sure that the old drive is causing the problems.

Solution

Hantim

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016
If your problem lay in HDD you can try test it with Victoria hdd software. In last year i had 2 pc stuck in infinite boot loop and in both incidents hdd had bad blocks. I was just damn lucky that this bad block was in boot volume. Try scan your hdd with classic remap and try boot again. You may need write this software on CD