Question Laptop stuck in "ThinkVantage Active Protection sensor diagnostic restart. /"

Apr 4, 2022
It has a black screen and this message: "ThinkVantage Active Protection sensor diagnostic restart. /" It doesn't seem to load. My son dropped water on it, I closed it and let it dry for a day, I even opened it up to take the water out (it wasn'tthat much but it might have reached the motherboard). It is a Lenovo T420 with i5 2520m vpro. A museum piece that worked fine for web browsing and a ppt presentation.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If you were able to disassemble the laptop, I'd advise on disassembling it again and then inspect the motherboard for any debris that might be on the board. While here also see if the motherboard PCB is properly dry. You could leave all components under a fan to air dry and then reassemble it again.

As for the issue you've stated, try and remove the storage drive and see if the issue changes. Are you working with two sticks of ram or one?

Reactions: criss551
Apr 4, 2022
I have 2 sticks of ram one with 8gb and another one with 2gb. I ll do as you as you said and we'll see how it goes. I'll update the status of the motherboard.
Thank you for your response

MilesVW

Commendable
Aug 11, 2020
That is a nice machine. You can get a T430 motherboard for $20. The RAM and CPU will swap over. The DisplayPort will be a Mini Displaport and the Keyboard keys will not be correct. You can do an EC patch (available on GitHub https://github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec)

There is a patch called IvyRA1N that unlocks some stuff, like the ability to run a 7265AC wifi maybe turn off Intel ME.

There are some fast i7 Dual and Quad core like 3612QM 3630QM etc you can use. Also 1866 and 2133mhz ram is compatible, at least the RipJaws I tried. IPS screen too. Still a viable machine, can still do some retro gaming or use it as a daily machine. See here if you want to hot rod your laptop https://medium.com/@n4ru/the-definitive-t430-modding-guide-3dff3f6a8e2e

If you don't feel like going too crazy a t420 motherboard might be available too for $30. Models : 63Y1967 63Y1989

All this to say I have a t450s that shows the same message and I found your post here. Mine still boots. So not sure if your sensors are not communicating or what. You can find the schematic for it pretty quick online and maybe track down the sensor. Will it boot from a CD or USB? Like windows install or Ubuntu etc? Might be the drive.

Last edited: