Question Laptop suddenly extremly slow

d.kopac

Prominent
Mar 5, 2018
Hello, i have a problem with my laptop. Everything was great, as always, until few days ago. My laptop is suddenly extremly slow and can barely run any game. Apex Legends crashed if i wanted to pick my character in lobby. League of Legends crashed when loading screen appeared. Paladins is almost unplayable on lowest settings. I could play all of those games without lags on highest settings before. It is just like i droppped my laptop in water, which I obviously didn't. I tried to check every component with different softwares. No problems found. I tried to search for viruses and malware. Nothing. I tried factory reset. No help. Then I tried to clean my fan and after that i could play apex, but with huge lags on lowest settings. Anyway, I don't think dust can cause such a huge drop in performance in such a short time. It would be slowing my laptop bit by bit, correct me if I am wrong. Laptop performance is set to max.

My specs:
Lenovo Legion Y520
Intel Core i5-7300HQ
Intel HD Graphics 630
Nvidia Gefore GTX 1060 6GB (all games set to this one)
RAM 8GB
1TB HDD (OS on this one)
124GB SSD (gamnes on this one, tried to move them without success)

Userbenchmark is the only software that found a problem. It found A huge underperformance by almost every component which is weird, how can this happen all of a sudden? https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/20345471 When i switched to Nvidia, these are the results: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/20346553 Also weirder is that i can run unigine heaven benchmark on ultra settings with average 40-50 fps. I just can't figure out what happend to my laptop. My laptop is still in warranty, but want to avoid that process if possible.
Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

xIntended

Honorable
Mar 6, 2014
Hey want to say I'm having similar issues to you with a Lenovo Legion Y520. Mine has the i7-7700HQ GTX 1050ti 16GB of Ram. When I first got this laptop I could play most games at good settings now it is almost running worse than my y year old PC! My main problem is that I'm getting huge lag spikes dropping my fps down to like 15 or 10!! I have good internet aswell. Wish I could help but maybe someone else can.