[SOLVED] Laptop suddenly get a lot of FPS drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 21, 2023
I've recently tried to play fortnite. but I noticed that when i played it I got huge fps drops. I've tried searching and trying to fix it for a long time now but the same thing still happens. when it first happened i tried watching optimization guides, that didnt help. ive tried undervolting the CPU. and that didn't work either. I don't think this is any issue with my laptop just not being good because it just randomly happened. I hadn't done any updates or tweaked anything on my laptop and the day before that it was running a smooth 144 fps. And this happened on a lot of games. even on minecraft, it wasn't really noticeable but minecraft dropped from around 300 fps to about 100 to 150 fps. Fortnite is kinda already fixed but when i play duo mode with another person with good internet connection, the fps still drops. And the weird thing is that when the FPS drops, the FPS is still stable. if i was at a normal 144 fps and i began getting fps drops it wasnt just "about" 30 - 50 fps. when the fps drop happened, it seems like the fps capped itself at about 30 fps even tho the settings are set to cap at 144 fps. So randomly the FPS would cap itself at about 30 fps and then it goes back to 144 fps and then 30fps again. And when i play Warzone 2 its really noticeable. at the start it was almost 160 fps. but then just a few seconds later it dropped to almost 15 fps. And when i watched cutscenes it looked like it capped itself at about 50 fps.

D

Deleted member 2947362

It might just be thermal protection or limiting it's self, if that is the case then overvolting the laptop CPU is probs not the best idea and most likely adds to the problem.

If its anything to do with temps getting hot, try making sure the laptop has plenty of air gap underneath maybe try placing something in each corner of the laptop to raise it's base so more air can flow, if it's being played on a table top.

If your using it on your lap how hot are your legs !! lol (sorry just my sense of humour)

May 21, 2023
It might just be thermal protection or limiting it's self, if that is the case then overvolting the laptop CPU is probs not the best idea and most likely adds to the problem.

If its anything to do with temps getting hot, try making sure the laptop has plenty of air gap underneath maybe try placing something in each corner of the laptop to raise it's base so more air can flow, if it's being played on a table top.

If your using it on your lap how hot are your legs !! lol (sorry just my sense of humour)
I have ran some stress tests and I was getting told a lot of times that the laptop was power throttling. In throttlestop when I run a benchmark test it says that the highest temperatures was around 80 to 90 c. My laptop has a more than enough space around it. But it is very hot outside and its summer so maybe its struggling a bit more because of that.

D

Deleted member 2947362

But it is very hot outside and its summer so maybe its struggling a bit more because of that.
I think your most likely correct. 90C rather close to limits I I'm guessing

just make sure plenty of air can get underneath the base of the laptop as a lot of the time that's where they draw the cool air from, if it on a table top it will heat that up making the cooling less efficient.

May 21, 2023
I think your most likely correct. 90C rather close to limits I I'm guessing

just make sure plenty of air can get underneath the base of the laptop as a lot of the time that's where they draw the cool air from, if it on a table top it will heat that up making the cooling less efficient.
I have ordered a cooler pad for my laptop. And now that i think about it, i used to have my laptop in a room that was a pretty cold room, and the problem never happened there but when i moved up, a few days later it started happening. And the desk my laptop is on is not cold at all. I will try to see what happens when i put the laptop in a colder enviorment.

May 21, 2023
I have moved my laptop to the colder room i was talking about and yes! it works! There are no more fps drops anymore! Thanks so much for helping me, this problem was really annoying, but you helped me, thanks:)

Status
Not open for further replies.