Question Laptop suddenly having many issues

boobel

Prominent
Dec 19, 2020
My laptop is ASUS TUF FX505DT. For a few days it's been plagued with issues. First, performance in games sad dropped drastically. From running rdr2 at ~60 FPS. Now my CPU won't even boost, games like league of legends cant maintain stable fps, even if it could before. Temps are fine, to a point that they won't go into turbo mode as they did before, seems like CPU and GPU aren't under enough stress to generate high temperatures. On top of that the screen will sometimes freeze, and "robotic" sounds will come from the speaker. I've tried reapplying thermal paste, I've also been monitoring performance in games, seems like the CPU won't go beyond 2.3 Ghz in game, but it will while I browse internet etc. Also while handling more than two cards in chrome the laptop will stutter. I've also tried resetting settings in bios and completely reinstalling windows, all drivers are up to date. I've noticed this drop in performance ever since I installed Ryzen Controller to take my temps down a little bit, program has since been uninstalled, after which I noticed a slight performance boost, but overall it still works terribly.

xenthia

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012
My laptop is ASUS TUF FX505DT. For a few days it's been plagued with issues. First, performance in games sad dropped drastically. From running rdr2 at ~60 FPS. Now my CPU won't even boost, games like league of legends cant maintain stable fps, even if it could before. Temps are fine, to a point that they won't go into turbo mode as they did before, seems like CPU and GPU aren't under enough stress to generate high temperatures. On top of that the screen will sometimes freeze, and "robotic" sounds will come from the speaker. I've tried reapplying thermal paste, I've also been monitoring performance in games, seems like the CPU won't go beyond 2.3 Ghz in game, but it will while I browse internet etc. Also while handling more than two cards in chrome the laptop will stutter. I've also tried resetting settings in bios and completely reinstalling windows, all drivers are up to date. I've noticed this drop in performance ever since I installed Ryzen Controller to take my temps down a little bit, program has since been uninstalled, after which I noticed a slight performance boost, but overall it still works terribly.
Is it possible, or better to say affordable for you to reinstall your whole operating system? Or it is gonna take so much time that you do not like or have the time to do it?

If not I would personally run an Ubuntu live session and do a few stress tests there, to see if my problems also are present there when out of Windows to be sure that the hardware is OK.

boobel

Prominent
Dec 19, 2020
Is it possible, or better to say affordable for you to reinstall your whole operating system? Or it is gonna take so much time that you do not like or have the time to do it?

If not I would personally run an Ubuntu live session and do a few stress tests there, to see if my problems also are present there when out of Windows to be sure that the hardware is OK.
By reinstalling the whole OS do you mean reinstalling windows from an USB ? I've only restored my windows with a recovery tool. I'll look into doing some tests in ubuntu, do you reccomend any programs for that ?