ColdgearQY

Prominent
Mar 8, 2017
Laptop: Acer Aspire V Nitro VN7-592G
Processor: i7-6700HQ
RAM: 8GB - DDR4
Graphics card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 960M
128GB SSD + 1TB HDD

I bought this laptop around two months ago but in the past week the laptop has been intermittently lagging a lot. This does not just affects the games i play but also when using the internet (youtube,google and etc) the lag can occur anytime, immediately when starting the laptop or even after 4 hours of witcher 3 gameplay. Then there's also times when completely nothing is wrong with the laptop and i can run the witcher 3 on ultra settings 8 hours straight. I initially thought that it could've been some background program running but as i open the task manager i only find the witcher 3 running and nothing else. The frame rate of the game drops from 60 fps to like 3 fps which is completely unplayable. I couldn't even exit the game!
I've tried restarting but it doesn't work and i usually just shut down the computer and play at a later timing. This is really getting on my nerves as i can't even load youtube videos even with really strong wifi. My guess is that it's hardware as the witcher 3 is single player but i'm not tech-savvy at all so i wouldn't know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

D

Deleted member 1443762

Some laptops will automatically change their active power plan.
Go to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options and select "High Performance"

This could be a simple fix to your problem. I know for a fact that on my laptop when High Performance is not selected, games will lag and get nowhere near the amount of FPS as High Performance.

When you plug in your laptop to charge it should automatically switch to High and when you unplug it will default itself back to Balanced. What you need to do now is make sure High is always on by selecting it when its charging and not charging. This should default it.

This might not be the solution but it's worth a try especially since you said you have only recently bought it.

ColdgearQY

Prominent
Mar 8, 2017

Seems to have worked so far, will update if it lags. Thanks for the help!