[SOLVED] Laptop suddenly slowed with performance

lasdorion

Prominent
Oct 1, 2019
Hey guys. So I have a MSI GE60 gaming laptop. (i5-3230M CPU, GTX660M GPU and 8GB RAM). Until last year, around december, my laptop was running games like CSGO and GTA V without a problem. I was getting solid FPS in medium settings. Then I gave a break for gaming for a 8-9 months. Only opened the laptop a few times in this timelapse. So the issues is when I tried to play CSGO last week, my laptop was really underperforming. I was gettin 30-50 FPS with all the lag spikes. I did a format, opened inside laptop and cleaned all the hardware, re-insatalled all the drivers but nothing worked.

I really don't know if it is software issue or my laptop died suddenly while doing nothing. Literally it was in its bag for around nine months. How can I learn what problem has my laptop?

Solution
Here are the stats after playing a game about 15 minutes.
Nothing over 80C, so it's not overheating...
Mostly likely software at work here, either Windows - 9 months is plenty of time for Microsoft to bork something up - or some setting in Nvidia Optimus/Inspector.
Also, check the status of the storage with this: https://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskInfoInstaller

Also I noticed something. So I went to Device Manager and disabled the the Intel HD 4000 and the game on Steam didn't start and gave an error. After I disabled the GTX660M it started without problem. Is that normal? It's like the programns run on the integrated GPU.
Re-enable that please. That's going to do more harm than good...

lasdorion

Prominent
Oct 1, 2019
Ok. Cpu/gpu temps?

Also I noticed something. So I went to Device Manager and disabled the the Intel HD 4000 and the game on Steam didn't start and gave an error. After I disabled the GTX660M it started without problem. Is that normal? It's like the programns run on the integrated GPU.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Nothing over 80C, so it's not overheating...
Mostly likely software at work here, either Windows - 9 months is plenty of time for Microsoft to bork something up - or some setting in Nvidia Optimus/Inspector.
Also, check the status of the storage with this: https://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskInfoInstaller

Re-enable that please. That's going to do more harm than good.
Steam didn't start, because it's set to run on the igpu. There's no need to run the GTX 660M on that.

Laptops with Switchable Graphics drivers have been a pain in the ass - it never should've been implemented, but it was because it reduced overall power consumption.
It runs on the igpu all the time until it detects you're running a game, then it's supposed to 'switch over' to the gpu... doesn't always work though, because 2 games I hear about the most with poor performance on laptops are Minecraft and GTA V.
The bloody thing doesn't switch when it's supposed to.

You installed the latest IGPU(the switchable graphics driver update is in this package, I believe) and GPU drivers from Msi?

Solution