Laptop Suggestion for school

jeffreyzhou3

Reputable
Sep 14, 2018
Hello, I am looking for a laptop for school, and there are so many models I don't know which one to choose. I am a freshman and currently I have a older Dell Xps 13 laptop with core i5 4200u, the battery is not that good, only like 3-4 hours max,the performance kinda sucks also. As of right now, I don't know if I should buy a new laptop or wait until next year, because I heard Intel is releasing new 9th gen laptop CPUs soon. But I know I need a new laptop next year because for one of my engineering classes we are going to use AutoCAD 2019 software which needs a good computer and also Photoshop.
Can you guys recommend me some laptops that are suitable? If waiting until next year to buy is a better idea I could still use my old laptop for the rest of the year.
My budget is around $700 and I hope it can last me through the rest of HS. It also needs a dedicated GPU, I heared the Mx150 from NVIDIA would be good, at least 8g of ram, quad core cpu, and ideally better battery life than my old laptop.
Any help is appreciated!

Mar 19, 2019
Looking at your need, I would recommend HP Pavilion 15-cx0056wm gaming laptop. And if you really don't have much need of a new laptop now, you should wait for new releases but only if your budget is higher.

If your budget for the next years buy is also $700, then don't expect that you would get the upgraded and newly released processor on your laptop.

Now, if you have decided to wait for upcoming laptops, keep checking the best laptops for college (includes different laptops for different majors and use.)

jeffreyzhou3

Reputable
Sep 14, 2018
Looking at your need, I would recommend HP Pavilion 15-cx0056wm gaming laptop. And if you really don't have much need of a new laptop now, you should wait for new releases but only if your budget is higher.

If your budget for the next years buy is also $700, then don't expect that you would get the upgraded and newly released processor on your laptop.

Now, if you have decided to wait for upcoming laptops, keep checking the best laptops for college (includes different laptops for different majors and use.)
I was thinking that I could wait until next year when the new CPUs release and then the older 8th gen ones would become cheaper, as I don't really need a new laptop until next year.
But thanks for your recommendation, The only thing I would worry about on that laptop is the battery life, as the cpu and gpu use more power than the U-series cpus.