Laptop suggestions for uni use

Jun 14, 2020
Hi, hoping to get some recommendations for a new laptop which I will be using for normal work in university.

Budget: Below $1500
Size of the notebook: 14-15
Screen resolution: 1920 x 1080
Processor: i5 2.2GHz /AMD A6 1.8Ghz or later
Memory: 8gb
Portable laptop
Battery life: at least 10hrs
Can run games like dota at Low-medium settings
Laptop used for occasional video editing
Hard Drive capacity: 512gb ssd
Laptop to operate properly for 5 years minimum
Preferred Brand’s: Asus, Dell. Can consider other brands also

Seaweed Monster

Honorable
Jun 7, 2014
I've picked out two that I think you'll like, but also comes with some capable hardware that can handle a few games, video editing while being suitable for university in terms of design. The 10 hours battery life at least is a hard one to meet, seeing you want to play a few games and do some video editing, but tried to get a good medium:

1. HP ENVY - 15t-ep000 (LINK) - $1249.99
    Specs:
    • Intel Core i7-10750H (Six-core processor) 2.6 / 5.0 GHz
    • GTX 1650ti (4GB)
    • 16GB DDR4 RAM (2933mhz)
    • 512 GB Nvme SSD*
    • 15.6 inch (1080p) IPS 400 nits display*
    • 6-cell, 83 Wh battery (realistically around 7-8 hours of general use - but could reduce screen brightness to increase that)
  2. My view:
    This laptop starts at $1149, but I'd recommend customising to the options I've picked out above, at least. I have bolded* the options above that I have upgraded. However, this laptop is seriously good, the high-end six-core processor will comfortably handle multitasking, video editing and gaming. While the mid-range GTX 1650ti graphics card will handle titles like Dota 2 at ultra settings no problem, and even can handle more sophisticated games, plus the GTX 1650ti will really aid with video editing and rendering - Here is a list of games and their benchmarks for this graphics card (LINK)

I believe the laptop is an aluminium body with a good selection of ports and an 83 watt-hour battery, which should realistically get you around 7 to 8 hours (casual use), but you'll want to plug it in when gaming etc... to get the best performance.

I use a 2019 HP Elitebook for work, which is similarly designed and I have no complaints when it comes to build quality and a really solid laptop, so that is why I have picked out an HP laptop.

3. Asus Zenbook - UX534FTC-XH77 (LINK) - $1399
    Specs:
    • Intel Core i7-10510U (Quad-core processor) - 1.8 / 4.8 GHz
    • GTX 1650 Max-Q (4GB)
    • 16GB DDR3 RAM
    • 1TB Nvme SSD
    • 15.6 inch (1080p)
    • 8-Cell 71 Wh battery (from videos on YouTube, battery is around 9 hours)
  4. My view:
    YouTube videos seems to rate this really well, with a sleek design and good overall performance. This laptop is also really good, with a solid quad-core processor for comfortable multitasking and some light video editing and gaming. This Zenbook comes with a slower GTX 1650 Max-Q which is more power-efficient than the 1650ti in the HP, but is no slouch, it can still run titles like Dota 2 at High/ultra settings at around 60FPS, and is capable of some video editing and rendering too - Here is a list of games and their benchmarks for this graphics card (LINK)

The thing that let this down little is the DDR3 RAM, most or all laptops at this price range are running DDR4 RAM which is better, but for your requirements, DDR3 RAM will still perform really well.

The body is aluminium, like the HP, and also has a good selection of ports along with a 71 watt-hour battery, but does have more power-efficient components like the 'U-series' processor and the GTX 1650 Max-Q giving it a bit of an edge in the battery life department but nevertheless still a good workhorse.
Hope this helps!

TRENDING THREADS