Question Laptop suggestions for work & gaming ?

DevilHunter27

Honorable
Feb 3, 2017
Hi Team,

I am looking to get a Laptop in the price range of Rs 70 to 75K for work and slight gaming purpose. I have shortlisted few Laptops, could you please let me know your suggestion so that i can take a proper decision.

1. Hp Pavilion Gaming - 15-Ec2048Ax - https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B09SQ2KK4B/
  2. Dell New G15-5515 - https://www.amazon.in/Dell-G15-5515-Ryzen5-5600H-Windows-D560805Win9W/dp/B09TNXY3QF
  3. HP Victus - 16-e0305ax - https://www.amazon.in/HP-16-1-inch-GeForce-Graphics-16-e0305ax/dp/B0B2KGXYVX
Those are the three which i have shortlisted. Let me know your suggestions as well so that i can consider those. Generally I am searching for a Laptop with Nvidia RTX 3050 graphics. Also let me know if it make sense to go for older gen proccessor like Ryzen 4th gen or Intel 11th or 10th gen processors.

Awaiting your response. Thank you in advance :)

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd want 16GB of RAM for modern gaming. The Dell is the only one in that list I'd consider. In my experience. Dell's are less problematic than HP.

That Dell should be a fine computer for gaming and work. The only thing you'll want is more storage. Going by the specs I found (Dell Support PDF Download). It has two M.2 Slots (1 occupied). So, you should be able to add a 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD for storing games. It also lists one USB 3.2 Gen 2 port. So, you can use a 10 Gbps external SSD. You don't have to do this right away. But you'll quickly use up 512GB with modern AAA games. If you want to keep more than a handful on your computer at any one time. But it could tide you over if you need to save more money or even save up for 2TB. To store a lot of games.

DevilHunter27

Honorable
Feb 3, 2017
I'd want 16GB of RAM for modern gaming. The Dell is the only one in that list I'd consider. In my experience. Dell's are less problematic than HP.

That Dell should be a fine computer for gaming and work. The only thing you'll want is more storage. Going by the specs I found (Dell Support PDF Download). It has two M.2 Slots (1 occupied). So, you should be able to add a 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD for storing games. It also lists one USB 3.2 Gen 2 port. So, you can use a 10 Gbps external SSD. You don't have to do this right away. But you'll quickly use up 512GB with modern AAA games. If you want to keep more than a handful on your computer at any one time. But it could tide you over if you need to save more money or even save up for 2TB. To store a lot of games.
Thank you so much for your response. Yes, you are absolutely right...512GB storage is a bit of a bummer, but in my location and my budget this is the storage for other brands as well. Two M.2 slot is a godsend, i would be able to expand it..also i have seen this laptop its a beauty as well.

Thank you so much for your response. Yes, you are absolutely right...512GB storage is a bit of a bummer, but in my location and my budget this is the storage for other brands as well. Two M.2 slot is a godsend, i would be able to expand it..also i have seen this laptop its a beauty as well.

Just make sure you get the right kind of M.2. Those secondary slots are often NVMe only.

I just noted on page 15 of the Manual. It looks as though a second SSD is not supported. If only one was included in the factory. Even though there is a second slot. You may not be able to use it. You may want to chat with Dell support first. To verify you may use the second slot or not. It may just be something as simple as not including a standoff you could add yourself or it may be impossible because some components are absent.

If MSI or ASUS has a similar laptop in that price range. You may want to look at them. I haven't known them to pull shenanigans like that with storage upgrades.

DevilHunter27

Honorable
Feb 3, 2017
Just make sure you get the right kind of M.2. Those secondary slots are often NVMe only.

I just noted on page 15 of the Manual. It looks as though a second SSD is not supported. If only one was included in the factory. Even though there is a second slot. You may not be able to use it. You may want to chat with Dell support first. To verify you may use the second slot or not. It may just be something as simple as not including a standoff you could add yourself or it may be impossible because some components are absent.

If MSI or ASUS has a similar laptop in that price range. You may want to look at them. I haven't known them to pull shenanigans like that with storage upgrades.
Oh I see, let me check on that or confirm from Dell support.
Also, Would you suggest Ryzen 7 4800H laptops as in Aug 2022?

Oh I see, let me check on that or confirm from Dell support.
Also, Would you suggest Ryzen 7 4800H laptops as in Aug 2022?

The 4800H should be better than the 5600H.

This ASUS may be good. I've looked through the documents I could find for it. It should have two M.2 slots (NVMe only). There's no mention I could find about them being locked or anything.

It should be the (2022) model. There is a similar model number from a prior year with different upgrade abilities. But the older model doesn't use the RTX 3050. Only the newer model. As far as I can tell. Anyways, here is the support site where you can look at the user manuals and upgrade guides.

Edit: If it's the older model. It would have one M.2 and one 2.5" SATA bay. All indications I can find. Say you'll be able to add more storage. It's just a question of M.2 or SATA for secondary storage.

Edit 2: It could be this 2021 model. Still two m.2 slots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
From the laptops you mention I would go with the Dell. The reviews and Dell manual state it supports two NVME drives, it doesn't look like it supports SATA in the M.2 form factor though.

In terms of my personal favourite, I like the Asus Tuf A15. The older Zen 2 CPU wouldn't be much of a concern for me considering it's being paired with a 3050.

From the laptops you mention I would go with the Dell. The reviews and Dell manual state it supports two NVME drives, it doesn't look like it supports SATA in the M.2 form factor though.

In terms of my personal favourite, I like the Asus Tuf A15. The older Zen 2 CPU wouldn't be much of a concern for me considering it's being paired with a 3050.

Look at the third note of page 15 of the manual. It indicates that if the laptop only came with a single m.2 SSD. A second SSD is not supported.

DevilHunter27

Honorable
Feb 3, 2017
Hello All,

Thank you for all your response. Based on your suggestions and after testing the laptop personally, I have gone with Dell G15-5515 model. Looks wise it is good and perfromance wise it is ok. I am yet to test some game on it though :D

Thanks

Reactions: Nighthawk117