Feb 1, 2020
Hi,

I have a laptop with the specs:
Specs: Laptop model/name: X411UN
CPU:i5-8250U
GPU:GeForce MX 150
Mobo:Unknown
RAM:8 GB DDR4 2666 MHZ
Storage: Micron 1100 SSD 256GB(Windows is installed here)
Toshiba HDD 500GB
Windows 10 Home 1909 Build OS 18363.628

Not that impressive,but it runs almost all the time at 90C-95C or very rarely 96C-97C and these temps are caught only when it's turbo boosting. It's base speed is 1.6Ghz and it's maximum boost clock speed it's 3.4Ghz. I tried throttle stop and disabled the turbo boost and the performance cut in half and it's not playable,especially GTA 5 which used to run at like 80-90 FPS in offline in a mix of med-high settings.
Tried to downclock to 2Ghz so it wouldn't be that bad,but is still hitting the 95C.
When it's 80-90 doesn't throttle almost at all,but oh boy when it's hits 95 or 96C it's throttling A LOT and I don't know what to do.
Btw, I tried a stress test with throttle stop and the performance would gradually get worse and worse as the time passes. And the maximum score I got was 1800~ points and when I disabled turbo boost it scored 950~ points which.. makes a difference after all..
Any suggestions..?

Solution
Version 300 had features that had no problems. Newer versions added more "fixes",but in a bad way. Added features with problems.

To to completely clear the CMOS.

How to clear CMOS in a laptop

.Power down your laptop. Remove the AC adapter and any other peripheral devices. Turn over the computer so that the bottom side is facing up.
Ground yourself, either by touching a piece of unpainted metal or by wearing an anti-static wrist-strap.

2.Locate the battery. This will vary depending on your laptop's model, but it is usually located on the back, near the rear of the laptop. Review your laptop's documentation to find the battery, if needed. Many newer models require that you remove the battery by releasing or...
How old is it? If it's a few months then chances are it's already dusty inside. You'll have to open it up and clean it out. I'd also recommend replacing the thermal paste in the laptop.

And lastly try to give it good airflow. Laptop vents obviously aren't the best but any help in ventilation can go a long way.

Reactions: Ceclan007
Feb 1, 2020
How old is it? If it's a few months then chances are it's already dusty inside. You'll have to open it up and clean it out. I'd also recommend replacing the thermal paste in the laptop.

And lastly try to give it good airflow. Laptop vents obviously aren't the best but any help in ventilation can go a long way.
I have it by like 2 months and I cleaned it and also changed the thermal paste 2 weeks ago.
I thinked about a cooling pad,but my laptop has the cooling in the gap between my screen and the laptop itself(I hope ypu will understand).

I have it by like 2 months and I cleaned it and also changed the thermal paste 2 weeks ago.
I thinked about a cooling pad,but my laptop has the cooling in the gap between my screen and the laptop itself(I hope ypu will understand).

Was it reaching those temps before you replaced the thermal paste? It's possible the paste you applied didn't spread evenly or the heat-sink isn't applying enough pressure onto the die.

Also can you adjust the fan speed? Maybe it's not revving up enough RPM or simply not spinning as the CPU gets hotter.

Feb 1, 2020
Was it reaching those temps before you replaced the thermal paste? It's possible the paste you applied didn't spread evenly or the heat-sink isn't applying enough pressure onto the die.

Also can you adjust the fan speed? Maybe it's not revving up enough RPM or simply not spinning as the CPU gets hotter.
I don't really know any solution to control the fan speed since this is an ASUS laptop and they hide and block a lot of features in their bios..I guess the bios which the laptop came with had better fan control and other things.. but since I updated it and can't go back.. not much what I can do.. and I put plenty of thermal paste and lifted the heatsink to make sure it spread and it did, and I tighten the screws as much as I could.
The temps before applying the thermal paste we're very unstable. After applying we're more stable,but still bad.

I don't really know any solution to control the fan speed since this is an ASUS laptop and they hide and block a lot of features in their bios..I guess the bios which the laptop came with had better fan control and other things.. but since I updated it and can't go back.. not much what I can do.. and I put plenty of thermal paste and lifted the heatsink to make sure it spread and it did, and I tighten the screws as much as I could.
The temps before applying the thermal paste we're very unstable. After applying we're more stable,but still bad.

It's not typically a good idea to lift the heat sink to check the spread and then put it back on again, but let's assume it didn't affect anything. That laptop model is a small-form build and is known to get generally hot. My laptop is a Helios 300 and the CPU also reaches up to 90-95c during long game-play sessions. This is typical for laptops and is perfectly normal. Most laptop CPU's have a thermal limit of 100c and GPU's about 85-90 and since the heatpipes are shared and the fans & ventholes are tiny they throttle to keep within those limits. So you're not experiencing something out of the ordinary.

In the end, there's nothing wrong with the temps it's at now. If anything having the latest BIOS installed should be the best choice since BIOS normally works towards making sure the CPU is as cool as can get within reason of the laptops capabilities & your usage.

Feb 1, 2020
It's not typically a good idea to lift the heat sink to check the spread and then put it back on again, but let's assume it didn't affect anything. That laptop model is a small-form build and is known to get generally hot. My laptop is a Helios 300 and the CPU also reaches up to 90-95c during long game-play sessions. This is typical for laptops and is perfectly normal. Most laptop CPU's have a thermal limit of 100c and GPU's about 85-90 and since the heatpipes are shared and the fans & ventholes are tiny they throttle to keep within those limits. So you're not experiencing something out of the ordinary.

In the end, there's nothing wrong with the temps it's at now. If anything having the latest BIOS installed should be the best choice since BIOS normally works towards making sure the CPU is as cool as can get within reason of the laptops capabilities & your usage.
I remember just when I got it that I played Wot on it and it set the high preset as default and it worked a whole night without any stutter and even after. After I updated some things including Bios,the laptop got way less efficient.. I can't play any game without having the laptop throttling all the time.. I don't really know what to do for real..

I remember just when I got it that I played Wot on it and it set the high preset as default and it worked a whole night without any stutter and even after. After I updated some things including Bios,the laptop got way less efficient.. I can't play any game without having the laptop throttling all the time.. I don't really know what to do for real..

Sounds like issues with software then, nothing much you can do unless you roll back/reinstall to those original drivers you had before you updated and the stuttering occurred. You should also be able to flash back to an older BIOS so if you think the BIOS is at fault then try going back. Just be mindful not to carelessly brick your system while changing the BIOS.

Feb 1, 2020
Sounds like issues with software then, nothing much you can do unless you roll back/reinstall to those original drivers you had before you updated and the stuttering occurred. You should also be able to flash back to an older BIOS so if you think the BIOS is at fault then try going back. Just be mindful not to carelessly brick your system while changing the BIOS.
I want. I really want. I can risk it all. But I don't know how. I tried the lowest(300) version of BIOS I could get since that's the BIOS I had ,and it says it's not valid.. I tried another version which is the second lowest version(305) got it installed it was better,but still bad.. I don't know any way to force install that BIOS.. There has to be,but I can't find it.. Really, I would risk to brick my mobo at the cost of that performance that it had before.

I want. I really want. I can risk it all. But I don't know how. I tried the lowest(300) version of BIOS I could get since that's the BIOS I had ,and it says it's not valid.. I tried another version which is the second lowest version(305) got it installed it was better,but still bad.. I don't know any way to force install that BIOS.. There has to be,but I can't find it.. Really, I would risk to brick my mobo at the cost of that performance that it had before.

Try version 307. It looks like 310 was released before the 307 was, so 307 could be a fix to any issues caused by 310. As for forcing 300, if it says it's invalid perhaps the file was just corrupt. Try re-downloading and trying it again. If no go then the system is refusing it for reasons beyond your control.

Feb 1, 2020
Try version 307. It looks like 310 was released before the 307 was, so 307 could be a fix to any issues caused by 310. As for forcing 300, if it says it's invalid perhaps the file was just corrupt. Try re-downloading and trying it again. If no go then the system is refusing it for reasons beyond your control.
Version 300 had features that had no problems. Newer versions added more "fixes",but in a bad way. Added features with problems.

.Power down your laptop. Remove the AC adapter and any other peripheral devices. Turn over the computer so that the bottom side is facing up.
Ground yourself, either by touching a piece of unpainted metal or by wearing an anti-static wrist-strap.

2.Locate the battery. This will vary depending on your laptop's model, but it is usually located on the back, near the rear of the laptop. Review your laptop's documentation to find the battery, if needed. Many newer models require that you remove the battery by releasing or holding down one or two latches, then gently pulling the battery out. Some models may instead require that you unscrew the battery from its compartment.

3.Leave the battery out of the compartment for at least 30 minutes. Do not attempt to turn on the computer and do not touch the battery within that time. Some laptops may require you leave out the battery longer to clear CMOS, others might take only 10 to 15 minutes to reset.

4.Ground yourself, then put the battery back into the laptop. Snap the battery latch into place or screw the cover back on, if necessary.

Then try to flash version 300 again.

Solution
Feb 1, 2020

2.Locate the battery. This will vary depending on your laptop's model, but it is usually located on the back, near the rear of the laptop. Review your laptop's documentation to find the battery, if needed. Many newer models require that you remove the battery by releasing or holding down one or two latches, then gently pulling the battery out. Some models may instead require that you unscrew the battery from its compartment.

3.Leave the battery out of the compartment for at least 30 minutes. Do not attempt to turn on the computer and do not touch the battery within that time. Some laptops may require you leave out the battery longer to clear CMOS, others might take only 10 to 15 minutes to reset.

4.Ground yourself, then put the battery back into the laptop. Snap the battery latch into place or screw the cover back on, if necessary.

Then try to flash version 300 again.
The BIOS has to be put on a stick and plugged in when I boot-up?

Feb 1, 2020
Yes, you'll have to put the version 300 file on a USB stick that's formatted as a FAT32 file structure, put it in your laptop, bootup, and then in BIOS flash it the same way you did before.
Hmm. I say anyway that is BIOS or system fault because if I benchmark and temps goes above 80C and the usage goes 90-100% the fans still stay quiet until it hits 90 or somethin and yea,anyway I hope the "EZ FLASH" will not interfere in the process and say that is not valid or somethin'. I'll give it a try anyway since even tho I will not be able to install the 300 version,I'll be able to install 305,307 or 310. And after that I'll reset the windows so it's clean.
If anything happens I will not blame you, I really appreciate you helped me. If I take one for the team ,I will take one for the team.No risk no win.
Thanks a lot anyway for the advice.