[SOLVED] Laptop thinks it has two batteries

SirMonkeyV

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
Hello. I have a Dell Latitude E5540. It only has one battery. However, Windows shows two batteries in the taskbar and also in device manager. The laptop is mostly used plugged in. One battery is at 100% because it is plugged in, but the nonexistant one is at 0%. As a result, Windows would shut down even when plugged in because it thought it was at a critical battery level. I disabled the shutdown at critical battery level in advanced power settings, which stopped the shut offs, but it still gives low battery alerts. The batteries show as a Microsoft battery pack in the device manager, so I am thinking it is a generic driver? I tried deleting the drivers to make it find a new driver, and also updated the chipset drivers and the BIOS. It has not been fixed. It is also not the original battery. Is it possible that the battery we bought is fake or not the correct one? Or is there a Windows issue? What else can I try? Thank you.

Solution
Hello. I have a Dell Latitude E5540. It only has one battery. However, Windows shows two batteries in the taskbar and also in device manager. The laptop is mostly used plugged in. One battery is at 100% because it is plugged in, but the nonexistant one is at 0%. As a result, Windows would shut down even when plugged in because it thought it was at a critical battery level. I disabled the shutdown at critical battery level in advanced power settings, which stopped the shut offs, but it still gives low battery alerts. The batteries show as a Microsoft battery pack in the device manager, so I am thinking it is a generic driver? I tried deleting the drivers to make it find a new driver, and also updated the chipset drivers and the BIOS...
Feb 28, 2021
Hello. I have a Dell Latitude E5540. It only has one battery. However, Windows shows two batteries in the taskbar and also in device manager. The laptop is mostly used plugged in. One battery is at 100% because it is plugged in, but the nonexistant one is at 0%. As a result, Windows would shut down even when plugged in because it thought it was at a critical battery level. I disabled the shutdown at critical battery level in advanced power settings, which stopped the shut offs, but it still gives low battery alerts. The batteries show as a Microsoft battery pack in the device manager, so I am thinking it is a generic driver? I tried deleting the drivers to make it find a new driver, and also updated the chipset drivers and the BIOS. It has not been fixed. It is also not the original battery. Is it possible that the battery we bought is fake or not the correct one? Or is there a Windows issue? What else can I try? Thank you.
I would try updating the bios and also asking the same question on the dell network

Solution

TRENDING THREADS