Laptop to Desktop

Mar 6, 2018
Hi everyone, I recently started building a new pc, i thought it was time to upgrade as i have been using this Alienware 17x for about 6 years now. I wanted to ask what the best solution to essentially putting all my files (games, movies, photos, apps, etc.) onto my new Desktop. I plan on using my laptop on the side so i'm not transferring the OS, ill have to buy another and boot it from a usb onto the Desktop. My laptop has a lot of games, and applications i would like on my Desktop so as to avoid re-installing/downloading all over again. :no:

PC Specs if interested:
CPU- i7 8700K
Cooler- Cooler Master - Seidon 120V 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Mobo- MSI - Z370 GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
RAM- Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
SSD- Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
HDD- Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
GPU- Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card
Case- Corsair - SPEC-OMEGA ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU- Corsair - RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Solution
You can transfer over straight data files like photos, music, and movies and Steam is typically decent at dragging files over once you've installed Steam on the new PC, but generally speaking, with most other apps you're going to have to reinstall properly on the new PC.
Mar 6, 2018

Yeah i wasn't sure about the cooler. As for the RAM i'm waiting for the prices to drop, but that doesn't look like its happening anytime soon.

not soon not this year.

Mar 6, 2018

Haha you're not wrong. Should i get an air cooler or liquid? see liquid are low profile and look nice but air's are supposed to be better in general. For Air i was thinking, be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 and for liquid be quiet! Silent Loop 240mm. I'm not to informed on cpu coolers.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You can transfer over straight data files like photos, music, and movies and Steam is typically decent at dragging files over once you've installed Steam on the new PC, but generally speaking, with most other apps you're going to have to reinstall properly on the new PC.

Solution