Laptop to modem internet using USB cable?

Nov 8, 2020
My new modem only has one LAN and one WAN ports .. the WAN port connects to the wall (Router), so I am only left with one LAN port to connect both Laptop and TV. However the modem also has a USB port. So would it be possible to connect a USB cable from modem to laptop and get internet that way? If no, what other options are there available that I could use and that would not reduce my internet speed too much. I read about RJ45 splitters, I am a little confused about these 😀

Any help would be appreciated,
Jad

If you have a lan port as well as a wan port, the modem is probably also a router. In that case, all you need is a cheap unmanaged switch to connect to the lan port to give you more lan ports. And each lan port will work at full speed, so no slowdowns. :)

Nov 8, 2020
Great, SanirD .. many thanks for your reply. I am always confused between a modem and a router 😀 The WAN port of the modem has an ethernet cable that connects to a wall port (which I guess leads to the router). So this leaves me with just one free LAN port. So yes, I've decided to buy a switch .. I just bought it online 5 minutes ago 😀 It is the TP-link TL-SG105. It has good reviews (here in Finland) and there are 5 ports and it's cheap, so all good. Thanks again for your reply (y)

You're welcome! And I'm not sure how the retail stores are in Finland, but here in the US, a 5-port switch like this is available at almost any electronics or office supply store. So if you can get it locally, you can cancel your online order and enjoy your Internet today. :)

Nov 8, 2020
Yep, we have a big electronics shop in Helsinki .. I live a couple of hours away, my city doesn't have it :( Btw, I have an Egyptian friend called Samir (y) Thanks again.

Ah, I completely understand. It used to be like that in the US many years back--even cables had to be mail ordered. I found out my name was also common in Egypt through an Egyptian friend. :) My parents were originally from India and my name has a different meaning there--so my name has 2x meanings. :) I just lost my father 2 months ago due to covid and I just now realized I never asked him to tell me the story of how I was named. :( All these little things that are lost when you lose your parents. :( My mom passed away last year. :(