[SOLVED] Laptop to TV HDMI No Sound

Dec 30, 2019
Hello, I'm not sure if this is in the right category.

I'm having trouble with running my laptop through my TV.

The picture is fine, but the sound is always from the laptop and not through the TV.

My laptop is an ASUS G75VW and the TV is a HiSense 85Q8.

I have tested two HDMI cables with the same result. Both had been working fine when I used them to connect the TV to a Bluray palyer, and the other to the TV and a set top box.

Also, I have tried it with my older TV, and both TVs with my wifes newer laptop, and its the same story ; picture, but not sound.

Solution
Nvidia audio components may be missing or corrupted. Often laptops don't come from the manufacturer or retailer with complete drivers, just using Window's generic. Go to Nvidia's website and download driver for your specific gpu.

This person did similar and reinstalling graphics drivers (which includes audio components) worked for them.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28771-Connecting-the-G75VW-to-a-TV-via-HDMI

You should then be able to select Nvidia high definition in Windows playback devices, this is the area to configure sound, not in NvidiaCP.
Dec 30, 2019
In the Playback Devices, three things come up. The TV which says not connected (when it actually is disconnected) , Speakers (VIA High Definition Audio), and SPDIF Interface (TX0). Nothing is heard through the SPDIF as nothing is connected (is is routed through the headphone port) and the VIA is the default audio for the laptop. If I disable the VIA, no sound comes out. The TV only appears in this menu when it is disconnected : when I plug in the TV it vanishes.

I looked in the NVIDIA Control Panel under Setup Digital Audio. My In the window it says HDMI and says HiSense. But when I click the next step, which says Configure Playback devices with the Windows Sound settings, the TV is nowhere in the list. I have checked Disconnected and Disabled devices so all devices no matter if they are disconnected or disabled should be visible in the menu, but the TV isn't in the menu.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Nvidia audio components may be missing or corrupted. Often laptops don't come from the manufacturer or retailer with complete drivers, just using Window's generic. Go to Nvidia's website and download driver for your specific gpu.

This person did similar and reinstalling graphics drivers (which includes audio components) worked for them.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28771-Connecting-the-G75VW-to-a-TV-via-HDMI

You should then be able to select Nvidia high definition in Windows playback devices, this is the area to configure sound, not in NvidiaCP.

Solution
Dec 30, 2019
I uninstalled my GPU drivers and used a program to make it a clean uninstall, then installed the drivers again and it fixed the problem.

That is, it fixed it for me. My wifes laptop however, is a different story.

She has an ASUS Vivobook x410UV which has Intel and NVIDIA drivers. I wiped then reinstalled both but still have the same problem, albiet with slightly different effects.

With my laptop, the TV icon would show when it wasn't connected, but disappear when it did. With the Vivobook, the TV icon still stays in Playback Devices and says Not Plugged In, when it is and isn't plugged in.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Should still be driver and configuration related, similar to your situation. Keep trying.

Did you use display driver uninstaller?

For the Vivo, yes use ddu, wipe both Nvidia and Intel in safe mode. Download Intel and Nvidia driver before hand.

enfield250

Honorable
Nov 9, 2018
I'm having a similar problem.
I have a Toshiba Satellite L70-c-13-c laptop running Win 10 Home 64 bit, I'm getting sound from the laptop and not the tv when the HDMI cable is plugged in.
I have tried to load new drivers for the Realtek High definition audio, but it makes no difference.
If I look in device manager it shows my mobile and Bluetooth speaker and Realtek HD only.
Under settings in sounds devices, it only shows internal speakers. If I look at playback devices it shows the bt speaker and the internal speakers only.
Any ideas please?
Cheers