[SOLVED] Laptop touch pad and keyboard work in bios menu but not on Windows 10

shab_2008

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
It's been two days that most of my laptop keys and its touch pad have stopped working. Only the brightness keys work. This is undoubtedly a problem with the Windows because in bios menu, everything works normally. As soon as the Windows logo is shown, keyboard stops working. It seems that the keyboard somehow freezes because when I turn on the "Num Lock" key, I can't turn it off anymore (i.e. the key doesn't function and its light remains on ).

I tried some workarounds but none worked. I uninstalled and reinstalled the mouse and keyboard drivers, but still facing the problem.

Would be grateful if someone can help me with this problem.

Solution
From an administrator command prompt issue these two commands:
SFC /scannow
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

If the above doesn't help, the next thing I'd do would be to look at the cryptic system event log for entries flagged ERROR.

When you get your system working I hope you'll consider making full system backups because sooner or later computer problems can and do happen.

shab_2008

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
If this happened to me, I'd restore from a recent full system backup I've made. If you don't have a backup, boot to Safe Mode and try running a full scan for viruses and malware.
Thanks so much for the reply. I already tried the last two recovery points available, but no luck! The problem also happens in Safe Mode. No malware or virus was detected by the machine's antivirus. I'm totally confused why this problem can't be solved!

Last edited:
From an administrator command prompt issue these two commands:
SFC /scannow
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

If the above doesn't help, the next thing I'd do would be to look at the cryptic system event log for entries flagged ERROR.

When you get your system working I hope you'll consider making full system backups because sooner or later computer problems can and do happen.

Reactions: shab_2008
Solution