Question Laptop trackpad stopped working after update!

Utkarsh Rai-

Honorable
Aug 31, 2014
Hi,

Laptop: HP pavilion 15 gaming notebook ak008tx
Touchpad: Synaptics TouchPad Driver- 19.3.31.31 Rev.A
Windows 10: 21H1 19043.906

I never experienced any issues with my laptops track pad before this.
yesterday night, i received a notification saying that an update requires restart... so i did.
Once the laptop booted up i could not see any cursor on the screen and the trackpad seemed to not work. Connecting an external mouse would immediately bring back the cursor.

I tried to uninstall and reinstall the driver using device manager and windows update. sometimes the trackpad would start to work but as soon as i reboot it stops working again. This is inconsistent and it doesnt always start to work again after fresh driver install.

I tried with a clean installation of windows but that still doesnt seem to fix it. It doesn't work even when im booted using the installation USB.
however sometimes it randomly starts to work when i reinstall drivers or rollback drivers. On one such occasion i decided not to restart and it worked well until i rebooted about an hour in.
During this time the 2-finger swipe and all those features dont work but i find that the latest synaptics driver show up in device manager.

also tried to reset defaults in bios and booting in safe mode.

I thought that a fresh windows installation would fix any troubles and Im out of ideas.
Please help.

Lutfij

Titan
When you tried to install the drivers for the trackpad, was it done after you installed drivers for your chipset? Also, was the chipset drivers done after you made sure that the laptop was on the latest BIOS version? On the note about driver installations, manually install all drivers relevant to your laptop in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>run as Administrator.

Utkarsh Rai-

Honorable
Aug 31, 2014
When you tried to install the drivers for the trackpad, was it done after you installed drivers for your chipset? Also, was the chipset drivers done after you made sure that the laptop was on the latest BIOS version? On the note about driver installations, manually install all drivers relevant to your laptop in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>run as Administrator.
there is a newer Bios update available.

1. Running Bios update now. will update. ----Updated, issue still there on first boot, now installing all chipset drivers

2. Im not sure about the chipset drivers. initially all my drivers were upto date when i first encountered the problem.
my laptop comes with a special sound utility to customize the Bang and olfusen speakers. i did try to download and install the sound drivers for this from HP just before i encountered this trackpad problem.

3. all driver installers were run as administrator by default.

On a side note i kept restarting the laptop and on 4th try the trackpad worked again...used for about 20-30 min and now restated to update bios.
i guess this isnt a hardware issue.

Last edited:

Utkarsh Rai-

Honorable
Aug 31, 2014
Updated Bios, and then installed all chipset drivers available on the HP product page as admin.
Uninstalled the synaptics driver from deivce manager..rebooted and reinstalled the one available on HP product page as admin.
Didnt help.

Any other Ideas..

It has to be a driver issue right? because when its working it works flawlessly for hours unless i reboot.

But then why does this still happen in safemode and fresh windows installation.
Please help im so frustrated

Last edited:

Utkarsh Rai-

Honorable
Aug 31, 2014
So i deleted and reinstalled the trackpad driver again and this time it worked on reboot. however features lie 2 finger swipe and all are still not there. Im sure if i reboot it will stop working so ill keep it on incase anyone has any ideas for any diagnostics.

i checked in Device manager,
Synaptics SMBus TouchPad is installed. Location is 'plugged into PS/2 mouse port'
version is the same that i always try to install..ie. 19.3.31.31
-all this is same when the touchpad doesnt work.

anything else i should check?