Question Laptop turns off instantly without continuous input ?

Aug 30, 2023
Hey,

Laptop model: Acer Aspire A515-51

About a week ago, I've been having an issue where my laptop won't start unless I continuously put in inputs on my keyboard.
If I stop giving it any inputs, the laptop will shut off after about 3 seconds (sometimes it varies a couple seconds longer or shorter).
Pressing the power button on my laptop doesn't do anything, as in turning the laptop on or off.
Putting the power cable in or leaving it out does not make a difference, it shuts down either way.
This problem occurs both in Windows and the bios.
Temperature-wise, the laptop doesn't feel warm when it's on.

Now my question is, does anyone know what could possibly be going on with my Laptop and how could I hopefully fix it?

Thanks for your consideration,

The Cats Mobo

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2023
Hey,

Laptop model: Acer Aspire A515-51

About a week ago, I've been having an issue where my laptop won't start unless I continuously put in inputs on my keyboard.
If I stop giving it any inputs, the laptop will shut off after about 3 seconds (sometimes it varies a couple seconds longer or shorter).
Pressing the power button on my laptop doesn't do anything, as in turning the laptop on or off.
Putting the power cable in or leaving it out does not make a difference, it shuts down either way.
This problem occurs both in Windows and the bios.
Temperature-wise, the laptop doesn't feel warm when it's on.

Now my question is, does anyone know what could possibly be going on with my Laptop and how could I hopefully fix it?

Thanks for your consideration,

The Cats Mobo
Hi, try to take out battery, take out bios battery and you can measure her and see if is ok , u should have 3v , if is below 2.5 I recommend to change it , also with bios battery out and all power disconnected , try press power button for 15 seconds to drain out curent and after that just Conect bios battery and charger and try to start laptop without battery and see if is stable , if is stable , you need to update bios to have latest version https://www.acer.com/us-en/support/product-support/A515-51/downloads?suggest=A515-51;0, and after that taste again , if the battery is ok before you make bios update I recommend charge the battery and with battery in you can make bios update , because if you try make update and don't have battery and in the process laptop shut down you can break bios , and need to go in a service to manually program the chip again .

Aug 30, 2023
Hi, try to take out battery, take out bios battery and you can measure her and see if is ok , u should have 3v , if is below 2.5 I recommend to change it , also with bios battery out and all power disconnected , try press power button for 15 seconds to drain out curent and after that just Conect bios battery and charger and try to start laptop without battery and see if is stable , if is stable , you need to update bios to have latest version https://www.acer.com/us-en/support/product-support/A515-51/downloads?suggest=A515-51;0, and after that taste again , if the battery is ok before you make bios update I recommend charge the battery and with battery in you can make bios update , because if you try make update and don't have battery and in the process laptop shut down you can break bios , and need to go in a service to manually program the chip again .
Thanks for the reply,

I took out both batteries and tested it on the charger, but it sadly still gave me the same results

Aug 30, 2023
Try connecting a known working external keyboard to the laptop to determine if the problem continues.
I tried it and it gives the same result. The external keyboard was able to type, but the imputs didn't turn on the laptop or kept it running, that still only worked via the built-in laptop keyboard.

Ralston18

Titan
Late thought: will the laptop boot into safe mode without constantly turning off?

If not, I suspect that the keyboard is defective or damaged in some manner that, without other key press inputs, is sending Windows a "shutdown".

FYI:

https://www.wikihow.com/Shut-Down-Your-PC-with-a-Shortcut-Key

Another possible scenerio is some buggy or corrupted file being launched at startup that could result in the same effect.

Consider a clean Windows install.

If the problem is not resolved by a clean Windows install then the laptop/keyboard will likely need some repair.

Aug 30, 2023
Late thought: will the laptop boot into safe mode without constantly turning off?

If not, I suspect that the keyboard is defective or damaged in some manner that, without other key press inputs, is sending Windows a "shutdown".

FYI:

https://www.wikihow.com/Shut-Down-Your-PC-with-a-Shortcut-Key

Another possible scenerio is some buggy or corrupted file being launched at startup that could result in the same effect.

Consider a clean Windows install.

If the problem is not resolved by a clean Windows install then the laptop/keyboard will likely need some repair.
Booting it into safe mode also turns off the laptop if no buttons are pressed. I also did a clean install of Windows a few days back, but that didn't seem to change anything either sadly. Can it be a Windows problem when it happens in the bios too?

I also ran autohotkey to see if any buttons were being pressed automatically, but none seemed to do so.

Ralston18

Titan
I think it is hardware and heat related. 3 seconds ( + or -) being more that time enough for a thermal shutdown.

Some short has been created but only exists when keys are not being pressed. Current being directed to components other than the faulty component.

So once there are no keys being pressed the short occurs and the resulting current path heats up some component and the laptop shuts down.

Or just simply some voltage flucuations that end with shutting down.

If anything, a shop may be able to open the laptop and find some sign of heat related damage that could identify where the problem is and/or the affected component.

To really resolve the problem will require the laptop's schematics, component testing, and maybe some reverse engineering. Maybe starting with voltage regulation.

That is going out of my comfort zone (already out by a long way) so I will defer to the EE types to delve further.

Aug 30, 2023
I think it is hardware and heat related. 3 seconds ( + or -) being more that time enough for a thermal shutdown.

Some short has been created but only exists when keys are not being pressed. Current being directed to components other than the faulty component.

So once there are no keys being pressed the short occurs and the resulting current path heats up some component and the laptop shuts down.

Or just simply some voltage flucuations that end with shutting down.

If anything, a shop may be able to open the laptop and find some sign of heat related damage that could identify where the problem is and/or the affected component.

To really resolve the problem will require the laptop's schematics, component testing, and maybe some reverse engineering. Maybe starting with voltage regulation.

That is going out of my comfort zone (already out by a long way) so I will defer to the EE types to delve further.
So I tested it with HWInfo and the problem is definitely overheating. The temps hover around ~70-90 degrees celsius and jump up to 100 before it shuts down. I'm still looking at how to fix it, so if you have any additional tips I'd be grateful.

Thanks for all the replies ^_^