Question Laptop turns on but displays nothing. Can't get to BIOS.

Frank_100

Reputable
Oct 31, 2016
stick with 1 thread. don't spam the forum
Hello, my laptop is an ASUS N46VM with an Intel HM76 Express motherboard. My laptop suddenly just doesn't want to work suddenly after i changed the bios boot up order (since i have 2 drives). Laptop's light turns on, but the 'cylinder thing' light only turns on for a while then it goes off. Normally when it's running, i usually have both lights on. Note that i don't have any battery in my laptop.

I've tried swapping the RAM, booting up with only one RAM, and they don't seem to work.
I've also tried swapping the HDD slots and that also does not work. I've tried the 'plug off the adapter and holding the power button for 30 seconds' and that does not seem to work too. I've tried letting the laptop stay for a while and the hard drive did get a bit warm, so that means it's working(?).

Plugging it on an external monitor would not work because once again, normally when i have it running, i'd have both the laptop light indicator on and the 'cylinder thing' light on.

Now i'm out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Frank_100

Reputable
Oct 31, 2016
Before it happened, what it did was the laptop got a bluescreen, and i thought "wait, this shouldn't happen" so what i did was reboot the laptop, got to BIOS and changed the boot up order but i noticed something odd. Both options were my old hard drive, which i use to store games and recordings, and it had an odd number of spaces before the actual HDD brand and model in the boot order, and it filled both of the boot up options and when i clicked on both of them, there were 3 options; the old hard drive, CD/DVD Drive, and none. The weird thing about this is the 'CD/DVD Drive' since i've never gotten that before, and since i'm also using an HDD caddy on my DVD ROM which means there is no way it can read as a 'CD/DVD Drive'.

So after that i had to go to 'Hard Drive BBS option' or something similar to that, and changed it to the drive that had Windows installed in it and went back just to notice the same odd spaces before the brand and model appear again and filling both boot orders. I just ignored those and go straight out and saved the configurations. Next time it boot up, this happens.

Frank_100

Reputable
Oct 31, 2016
What Windows are you using? Did you do any BIOS updates recently? and would you kindly post some pics with the bios Hard Drive BBS option.
Windows 10,
Nope
Also i can't go to BIOS so i can't really show what that option is.

I have a feeling that the BIOS is corrupted so it bricked my laptop but other than that i don't really know much since i'm not much of an expert at computers and such

Frank_100

Reputable
Oct 31, 2016
I have two GPUs , one is for the display, the integrated Intel HD and one more for rendering which is the GT 740m. If my GPU is the problem, i'm sure it would be the one for display which in my case is the integrated Intel HD that's from my CPU and if that's what the problem is i'm guessing i have to buy a separate CPU, desolder the one in my motherboard and put the newly bought CPU into it, right?

Frank_100

Reputable
Oct 31, 2016
To flash the bios you will need a working GPU so that you can see(main display or external monitor).
The CPU is not soldered to the motherboard.
You can flash the BIOS by plugging something into one of the chips on the motherboard and in my case, the CPU is soldered to the motherboard. I'll show you the video of a guy on youtube flashing the BIOS of a bricked laptop.

AlexN.Q

Reputable
May 24, 2019
So what happened "if that requires me to open the motherboard i'll just get this to a repairman"
I recommend taken it to a PC/Laptop Service Store before messing around with the BIOS like that.
Who knows, it may be a GPU or just a simple reset of the CMOS battery.

Frank_100

Reputable
Oct 31, 2016
So what happened "if that requires me to open the motherboard i'll just get this to a repairman"
I recommend taken it to a PC/Laptop Service Store before messing around with the BIOS like that.
Who knows, it may be a GPU or just a simple reset of the CMOS battery.
I was thinking of that, i'm just making sure of what the problem is, because i've been reading off of forums and it seems like if this happens it's always the GPU. And i was very very VERY worried about my laptop dying, so i made this thread to ask if there're any other solutions to this problem. And you've helped me quite a tad so, big thanks.

TRENDING THREADS