Question Laptop turns on very inconsistently and sometimes take 10+ times before it actually turns on.

Leon3000

Honorable
Nov 16, 2016
I recently bought a TongFang GM7TN7P barebone laptop, and since the first time I've turned it on I've been having issues.

Sometimes it turns on on the first try, no problem, but often it takes a few attempts. When I press the power button, the light of the power button turns on, sometimes the fans and keyboard lights also turn on, but the screen stays off until it just shuts down again. Having the power cable connected or not doesn't seem to have any effect on it.

Anyone have an idea what might be going wrong? Thanks in advance.

Lutfij

Titan
I'd try and rule out the stick(s) of ram used in the build in case it's faulty or failing. Might want to take the ram stick(s) to a known working laptop to see if that rears it's head on the donor platform. I'd also try and rule out a grounding issue on your wall outlet. Often times a static charge build up will cause anomalies as stated above. Even to the point where the laptop refuses to power up.

if you're working with two sticks of ram, might want to make sure they're identical and perhaps try and swap ram slots/positions.

Leon3000

Honorable
Nov 16, 2016
I'd try and rule out the stick(s) of ram used in the build in case it's faulty or failing. Might want to take the ram stick(s) to a known working laptop to see if that rears it's head on the donor platform. I'd also try and rule out a grounding issue on your wall outlet. Often times a static charge build up will cause anomalies as stated above. Even to the point where the laptop refuses to power up.

if you're working with two sticks of ram, might want to make sure they're identical and perhaps try and swap ram slots/positions.

Hey, sorry for the late reply and thanks for the help. I tried starting the laptop while grounding myself, but to no avail. My work laptop doesn't seem to have the issue at all. I fear I don't really have a laptop I could swap the RAM sticks out with (I don't think my work would appreciate). I guess I could try running software that detects RAM issues, but I wonder how reliable those would be.