Question Laptop turns on when closing lid

Aug 16, 2019
Hello, I been having this issue with my 2016 HP Star Wars Special 15.6" High Performance Full HD IPS Touchscreen Gaming Laptop, Intel Core i5-6200U, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 940M, 8GB RAM, When I shutdown the laptop completely and close the lid, it turns back on. While its on and I close the lid, the laptop now shuts completely off (i.e., does not go to sleep).

I called HP Tech Support, but they want to charge me over 60 bucks to attempt to fix this over the phone. Can anyone provide some assistance on this and what could be causing this issue?

Thanks!

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
The first thing I'd check, seriously, is whether Fast Startup is enabled under Control Panel, Power Options, Choose what the power button does link, then, if it's shown as enabled and stippled out, hit the Change settings that are currently unavailable link, and uncheck it.

Save/OK your way out, then shutdown and restart your system and see if the issue persists.

Leave Fast Startup disabled once it is disabled.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Well, the next thing to check is what your "closing the lid" settings are in Power Options.

I suspect, if Fast Startup is off, you may have some sort of bizarre hardware problem. It makes no sense of any sort for a machine that is completely shut down to ever trigger a startup upon lid close if everything is functioning normally, and this is so abnormal my first two thoughts were OS corruption secondary to having been partially hibernated as part of the Fast Startup shutdown, or something's really weird with the hardware (possibly the switch for the lid).

Aug 16, 2019
Hi, I also did mess with the closing lid settings to see if I can stop this issue from happening, but the issue still remains. I even put the closing lid setting to "nothing happens" but still the same issue. Is there another way to fix this issue? Currently, the only way for me to shutdown the laptop is to close the lid while its on and it will shut off. Again, thanks for the help so far.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
One thing, and this is more of a diagnostic than anything else, is to do the following:

1. On your desktop, bring up the context menu via right click or SHIFT+F10, and choose New, Shortcut.

2. In the first dialog in the Type location of the item edit box, paste: shutdown /s /f /t 0

3. Hit the Next button, then in the Name edit box enter: Immediate Shutdown.

4. Hit the Finish button.

You will now have a shortcut on your desktop that, when activated, will trigger an immediate shutdown, forcing all programs to close immediately as part of it.

Try activating that to shut down, then see if closing your lid powers up the machine again.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
By the way, the service guide for your machine is here: HP Pavilion Notebook (Intel) Star WarsTM Special Edition Notebook - Maintenance and Service Guide

HP is one of the few OEMs to make these available to the general public for virtually all the machines they produce. If the last trick doesn't work, I'd download that and at least have a look at how the lid switch works on this particular model to see if anything suggests a way it could go wonky such that when the lid gets entirely closed the switch would open again (like a slightly chipped/broken "pusher" for said switch on the lid itself).

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
The behavior you describe makes it seem almost as though somehow the power button itself is getting activated when the lid is closed after a shutdown. But if that were the case then just closing the lid without having shut down should not work, either.

Are you positive that closing the lid without having shut down is not either hibernating the machine (which would look for all the world like it's shut down) or sleeping it?

Aug 16, 2019
HI, so when I close the lid while the laptop is on( not shutdown) will shutdown the laptop completely (i.e., does not hibernate/sleep). Also, I notice now that when I open the lid and press the power button, nothing happens. However, when I close the lid at this point, the laptop turns on. This is super weird :/