Question Laptop under $1500 ?

Nov 3, 2021
Hi

So to spill the whole story, I have been using a PC as a primary source of games for over a decade and a PS for their exclusives... But recently I've started to question the use of the PC... I've used it mainly for online FPS (mainly overwatch) for the past few years

And this recent PC parts crisis which makes it impossible to acquire certain things except for 3-4 times their real price was the final straw
1100 euros a RTX 3070 haha

So as of now I have decided to give up desktop PC gaming, which means I don't need a desktop PC anymore, logic

So I told myself, why not get a laptop. The problem is, I am incapable of playing an online FPS with a controller, and I don't want to completely give up the possibility of playing overwatch 2 or an eventual COD or BF in the future and possibly some older games from time to time... so titles from 1999 to 2016 (nothing new on PC)

Now here comes another issue, I haven't gamed on a laptop since 2007 to 2009, it was a lower end non gaming laptop, and apparently laptops always have the same issues, overheating, loud etc... Is that still the case?

Will it last 5 years with 2-3 hours of overwatch / day for multiple years? I will only need 70-80 fps, I don't care at all to have 120 or the full 144 fps

Are there laptops

And I have also thought, to not lose too much familiarity, to use a second display, a 24 inch 1080p 144hz in a sort of dual monitor setup

BUT I ask myself... will this reduce the performance of the laptop? If I launch a game on the main monitor for example and use the laptop screen for browsing, will I take a massive hit?

Should I want to turn the laptop screen off completely, is there a way to do this?

And now my ultimate question

For the suggested price, what are the BEST laptops available between now and march with best cooling and noise that contain at least these requirements

15 inch screen minimum

512gb storage minimum better 1tb SSD no HDD

16gb DDR4 minimum

120hz screen minimum

THANK YOU

I know this is alot, but I hope you can clarify my lost mind

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
5 years, maybe. If you keep it free from dust, and possibly changing out the fan(s) at some point.

Secondary 1080p display is what the GPU will run on if you tell it to. Depending on the model that might mean routing it through the iGPU, but that is minor.

Laptops can still run hot and loud, but they are also still afforded the coolest running CPUs and GPUs made available to manufacturers. Keep in mind there is no longer much difference between the mobile and desktop GPUs, just mobile ones use and are set to use less power.

Your requirements aren't that extreme for a $1500 gaming laptop.

Nov 3, 2021
Yes, well my main concern is heat and sound

Outside of gaming when idle are they usually cool and quiet enough?

when "gaming" it will be on a desk so it won't be on like my lap or something

and sound is also a concern

as of now the Asus TUF or lenovo legion is the only one I see

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
$1000 10th gen, RTX3050Ti

https://www.walmart.com/ip/MSI-Katana-GF76-11UD-001-17-3-Gaming-Laptop-Intel-Core-i7-11800H-NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3050-Ti-16GB-Memory-512GB-NVMe-SSD-Windows-10/702329458?irgwc=1&sourceid=imp_TeByM8U0ixyLRY6wUx0Mo3YKUkG0rLyviTlg3E0&veh=aff&wmlspartner=imp_11949&clickid=TeByM8U0ixyLRY6wUx0Mo3YKUkG0rLyviTlg3E0&sharedid=&affiliates_ad_id=566719&campaign_id=9383

$1500

11th gen, RTX3060

https://www.newegg.com/p/1TS-000X-02RE2

ASUS TUF and Lenovo Legion are also good choices, depending on the price. Should also be more options from MSI, Gigabyte, maybe a 'low-end' Razer.

You should check reviews for noise and temperatures. All laptops are going to rev up when you stress them, and the ones that stay 'quiet' under a heavy load are going to be in the multi-thousand range.

Then there are the boutique builders that sell Clevo (the designer of most of your gaming laptops)

https://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP7859PQ-S.html

logainofhades

Titan
I would avoid any 3050 laptop. A GTX 1660ti equipped laptop is often similar in price, and is faster. That was the case when it launched anyway. The 4gb limitation of a 3050 and 3050ti can also be a problem in the future.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would avoid any 3050 laptop. A GTX 1660ti equipped laptop is often similar in price, and is faster. That was the case when it launched anyway. The 4gb limitation of a 3050 and 3050ti can also be a problem in the future.

True, but that Walmart special even has me tempted, and I don't need one...

(My laptop has a GT740m!)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That would be a huge upgrade, for you, for sure.

I don't game on my laptop, not even sure why I keep it around at this point. Haven't been traveling, not using the XP VM I have on it for anything anymore (and I can do that with anything that has a USB port at this point). Occasionally pull it up since it has a licensed copy of Office on it, though I have O365 at the moment from two sources.

Probably going to blow some cash on another waterblock for my 3080Ti (not really seeing good temps, needs a remount or something), and maybe a new pump for the loop. My Swiftech DDC is 6 and half years old. Kind of want to stick with the theme and grossly overpay for a Eisbear core Pump/Res/Rad combo.

Nov 3, 2021
Yes but remember guys I only plan on playing overwatch 2

and maybe a COD

all solo games I will use the PS5

I don't really need it to be super powerful

as far as noise yes I see, I just don't want something TOO loud

and I will only use it for gaming when I'm at a home, maybe some older games, nothing after 2016

I won't be taking it outside much except when going from home to home

but yes it does seem that the predator helios 300 fits the bill almost everywhere I am looking at review of it now

EXCEPT that awful design with the bent corners WTF... is wrong with why would they make a laptop look like that

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021
Correct but sometimes I fear of the heat and noise output from a bigger GPU

remember I only need it to run overwatch 2

and maybe a battlefield online in medium settings at like 70 frames, nothing more

All big games will be on console from now on

Nov 3, 2021
Appreciate your input but I am not in the US and that does not help me select the exact model I am to pick