[SOLVED] Laptop underperforming in games.

Aug 26, 2020
I'm on a ryzen 3 3200u with Vega 3 graphics laptop. I have 8gb of dual channel ram and a 240gb ssd. Yes, I know this isn't meant for gaming but hear me out. I'll play L4D2 for example on low, 720p settings. I'll get maybe 70-80 average, but, when a horde of zombies, or even just a couple, come out, I get major dips (70-30 or 20 for example). Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I don't think this should be happening, especially on L4D2.

I've tried the following-

Update windows and drivers.
Reinstall windows and drivers.
Go through AMD settings and tweak everything.
Unlinked the GPU to the CPU.
Change the power settings.

I've also tried CS:GO and it kinda seemed like it was underperforming as well (at least compared to some benchmarks I had seen). I would get maybe 40 or 50 average, then all of a sudden, I would dip to like 20, even if it's a 1v1. These are on low settings 720p as well.

I checked task manager and from what I can tell playing L4D2, everything seemed normal. Cpu was at 30-50. Ram was at 40-50. And gpu was at about 5.

I've been at this for a couple of weeks now, and I don't have a fix yet. I don't know if it's hardware or software related, but at this point, I'm just trying to fix it. So of you can help me, please do. Thanks.

Solution
Percent usage isn't that useful a metric.

Big problem with laptops is generally temperature. They'll run for a bit, heatsink will get saturated and then the clock speeds will drop. Not much you can do but get an external laptop cooling pad, or take the whole thing apart and replace the thermal compound for some small gains.

Download something like HWInfo64 or Hardware Monitor or CPU-Z and GPU-Z to monitor temperatures. If they are reaching 90C and then the clock speeds dropping, you have your answer.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

Big problem with laptops is generally temperature. They'll run for a bit, heatsink will get saturated and then the clock speeds will drop. Not much you can do but get an external laptop cooling pad, or take the whole thing apart and replace the thermal compound for some small gains.

Download something like HWInfo64 or Hardware Monitor or CPU-Z and GPU-Z to monitor temperatures. If they are reaching 90C and then the clock speeds dropping, you have your answer.

Solution
Aug 26, 2020

Ok, I tried what you said. I tried L4D2 (at high 720p, which is what I meant to say in the question), and I played for 20 minutes and I checked the temps. CPU tdie ( 44.6°C), CPU soc (42.7°C), and APU GFX (41.0°C). The GPU temp was 40.6°C. Maybe I'm just overthinking it, but compared to this benchmark (
View: https://youtu.be/fv6oZEczlJA
), I should be reaching a stable 80-120fps, which I'm not.

Ok, I tried what you said. I tried L4D2 (at high 720p, which is what I meant to say in the question), and I played for 20 minutes and I checked the temps. CPU tdie ( 44.6°C), CPU soc (42.7°C), and APU GFX (41.0°C). The GPU temp was 40.6°C. Maybe I'm just overthinking it, but compared to this benchmark (
View: https://youtu.be/fv6oZEczlJA
), I should be reaching a stable 80-120fps, which I'm not.
If those temps. were taken while you were actually playing, that's amazing!