Question Laptop USB Over voltage issue

May 18, 2019
1
0
10
0
Hi, I have a HP Spectre x360 laptop (13-w018tu). Yesterday, I tried to connect an external DVD drive, I accidentally connected a 12V EXTERNAL POWER (recommend 5V) to it, and I connected the USB to my laptop. (I hadn't connected the external power to the laptop; was using from the battery power) Suddenly, the laptop went off and I smelled a bad odor (circuit nothing smell for a while) near the USB port. Whenever I try to turn it on, the power switch buld turns on for half a second and turns off. Nothing else happens.

I removed the back cover, and disconnected the battery power first, and removed the ribbon cable of the USB port unit which I connected the DVD drive. Then I reconnected the battery power cable and tried to turn it on. But the problem still exists.

I wish to know what could be the exact problem in this case. Does it means that I have fried the motherboard and cannot be repaired? Please let me know. Thanks in advance.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS