Laptop USB ports suddenly stopped working

Ackalap

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2015
As of yesterday I discovered that all of my USB ports stopped working on my Acer Predator Helios 300. I'm not entirely sure when the problem originally started, but it couldn't have been more than a week. I only use my laptop for gaming when travelling. I've searched through lots of articles online and after checking my USB Controllers under Device Manager I found these 2 things under it:

Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)
USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)

The USB Root Hub has a yellow warning triangle on the icon and under properties I found this message:

"Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)"

I have tried deleting both controllers and restarting the laptop, and I've also tried restoring my windows to an earlier point. Neither of which worked. Restoring couldn't go to completion because it was unable to extract this file from the restore point:

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\USBHUB3.SYS

As far as I can tell this file might also be related to the problem? If there is any way I can fix this problem without needing a full factory reset then please let me know.
Thank you in advance

PS: Sorry for the long spiel

Ackalap

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2015

Hey thanks but unfortunately the root hub reappears with exclamation point anyway, also there doesn't seem to be any power management under in it's properties, the only sections that I can see are General, Driver, Details and Events