Question laptop very slow cpu issue

krissyneillie1

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2012
Good evening, i am looking for some assistance please, a friend has a laptop that's running very slow, its a toshiba satelite 850d, they have had it previously "upgraded", i had a look and can see its had an ssd installed, and is running the standard 4gb ram, it should perform relatively well but its very very slow, i installed HWMONITOR and had a look, i can see that the cpu utilisation is running at a constant 99-100%, i never really got a chance to have a look and see what was hogging the cpu process, i was considering doing a new fresh install of windows 10 with a new key, they had the upgrade to 10 from 7, as its more than a few years old i was debating on removing the heatsink and cleaning the fan and applying new paste even although the temps look ok (certainly cant do any harm), would a fresh install be the best option, there isn't a great deal of data stored, most of the pictures can just be backed up, i believe it has an AMD Dual-Core E1-1200 APU

Many thanks

Good evening, i am looking for some assistance please, a friend has a laptop that's running very slow, its a toshiba satelite 850d, they have had it previously "upgraded", i had a look and can see its had an ssd installed, and is running the standard 4gb ram, it should perform relatively well but its very very slow, i installed HWMONITOR and had a look, i can see that the cpu utilisation is running at a constant 99-100%, i never really got a chance to have a look and see what was hogging the cpu process, i was considering doing a new fresh install of windows 10 with a new key, they had the upgrade to 10 from 7, as its more than a few years old i was debating on removing the heatsink and cleaning the fan and applying new paste even although the temps look ok (certainly cant do any harm), would a fresh install be the best option, there isn't a great deal of data stored, most of the pictures can just be backed up, i believe it has an AMD Dual-Core E1-1200 APU

Many thanks
I would reset it back up the photos to a external drive, and leave them on a external drive. After words freshing install windiws 10, however you dont need a new key the permanent activation key they were given should be good. I just wouldn't individually and Manuelly install all the drivers after updating the os first then gpu usb's audio all that fun stuff

krissyneillie1

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2012
I would reset it back up the photos to a external drive, and leave them on a external drive. After words freshing install windiws 10, however you dont need a new key the permanent activation key they were given should be good. I just wouldn't individually and Manuelly install all the drivers after updating the os first then gpu usb's audio all that fun stuff

Even though its originally a windows 7 key?, there only a few dollars on ebay to be honest, I prefer the idea of having an official 10 licence rather than the upgraded 7, if it's a software issue I hope a fresh install is the fix, I can't think what the problem would be if it were hardware problems

The AMD E1-1200 is a horribly slow CPU. Even when it came out it was slow. It’s about as fast as an Athlon 64 3500+ or Pentium 4 3.5Ghz. You aren’t going to make it quick.

For about $100 your friend could pick up a 2nd/3rd Gen i5 laptop off eBay. Which would run circles around it. Even $50 would get something that smokes it.

krissyneillie1

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2012
The AMD E1-1200 is a horribly slow CPU. Even when it came out it was slow. It’s about as fast as an Athlon 64 3500+ or Pentium 4 3.5Ghz. You aren’t going to make it quick.

For about $100 your friend could pick up a 2nd/3rd Gen i5 laptop off eBay. Which would run circles around it. Even $50 would get something that smokes it.

Thanks for that, that may be an option, it's mainly used for general use, emails, some websites, mostly Facebook, a cpu upgrade might be a bit extreme, how would I know if an i5 would fit or be compatible?