[SOLVED] laptop vs Desktop CPUs

tibsy

Reputable
Jul 10, 2019
how far behind are mobile chips compared to the desktop cpus. i have an i7 10750h in my laptop and always struggle getting high fps on games with low settings. im currently playing bf5 multiplayer with rtx 2060 (115w) and 16gb ram always plugged in. is the i7 10750h equivalent to an i7 7700k when it comes to gaming or worse?

Solution
They are the same CPUs. Made on the same lines.

The problem is they are then put into a laptop. LOL. Due to the laptops power and thermal numbers they are then hampered by what they can do. Taking a 95W CPU and telling it that it can't go over 45W, or 15W will prevent it from running as well as it can. Even if you have it plugged in, the cooling is designed for a 45W CPU, not a 65W or 95W. This means it will hit it's thermal limits way early and throttle down. I would argue that laptop CPUs aren't behind desktop CPUs at all. They are just put in a chassis that doesn't allow them to do what they can do.

4745454b

Titan
They are the same CPUs. Made on the same lines.

The problem is they are then put into a laptop. LOL. Due to the laptops power and thermal numbers they are then hampered by what they can do. Taking a 95W CPU and telling it that it can't go over 45W, or 15W will prevent it from running as well as it can. Even if you have it plugged in, the cooling is designed for a 45W CPU, not a 65W or 95W. This means it will hit it's thermal limits way early and throttle down. I would argue that laptop CPUs aren't behind desktop CPUs at all. They are just put in a chassis that doesn't allow them to do what they can do.

Solution