Question Laptop vs Desktop heat ?

spanconstant5

Commendable
Apr 5, 2020
my current pc (3200g/rx570) makes about 225w under light load and i dont have ac (it gets over 100 degrees in the summer in my area and the room can be over 90 with the pc running) , would a laptop with a 3070 be better at not heating up the room as much, esp if i put on v sync in games to 60hz?

My current pc (3200g/rx570) makes about 225w under light load and i dont have ac (it gets over 100 degrees in the summer in my area and the room can be over 90 with the pc running) , would a laptop with a 3070 be better at not heating up the room as much, esp if i put on v sync in games to 60hz?

D

Deleted member 362816

Dear lord no. It will most likely be much worst as even in good climate they often heat up and clocks with boost till they throttle.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
would a laptop with a 3070 be better at not heating up the room as much

On default values, No.

RTX 3070, inside the laptop, ranges from 85W to 140W, depending on a laptop model (source). Your RX 570 is 150W GPU, giving you a diff as little as 10W.

esp if i put on v sync in games to 60hz?

If you only ever play at 60 FPS (same as 60 Hz) then you don't need a laptop with RTX 3070 in there, IF the resolution you are planning to use is 1080p. Weaker (cheaper and less power hungry) GPU will do too. But when the resolution you game at is 2K or 4K, then RTX 3070 would suffice.

Now, CPU wise, if you get anything beefier than your current R3 3200G, at 65W, CPU will erase any power gap you could've achieved with GPU.

All-in-all, i don't think you'll reduce your PCs heat output. Laptops are very poor in terms of cooling their components and laptop components often run much hotter than their desktop counterparts, even when they are less power consumption counterparts of desktop hardware.

Only good part of the laptop, is it's mobility. In every other aspect, desktop PC will do better.

Reactions: KyaraM
No.
Laptop coolers must be small and light.
Therefore not very efficient for cooling.
Most gaming laptops when plugged in will have heat issues and throttle.

Your RX570 is an older/hotter card.
If heat is the big issue, you could try a GTX1650 of some sort which would be in the same performance ballpark an take much less power.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
when the desktop is 225 at idle?

You sure your PC requires 225W at idle? Since my main build (full specs with pics in my sig), at 100% load (during Unigine Superposition bench, with all case fans 100%), consumes 203W. While idling around 102W.

In there, i have 91W i5-6600K, 120W GTX 1660 Ti (essentially the same power rating as your hardware) and bunch of high-end case fans (mostly 140mm). Then again, i also have 80+ Titanium PSU, which is as efficient as it gets, while wasting as little electricity as excess heat as possible.

spanconstant5

Commendable
Apr 5, 2020
You sure your PC requires 225W at idle? Since my main build (full specs with pics in my sig), at 100% load (during Unigine Superposition bench, with all case fans 100%), consumes 203W. While idling around 102W.

In there, i have 91W i5-6600K, 120W GTX 1660 Ti (essentially the same power rating as your hardware) and bunch of high-end case fans (mostly 140mm). Then again, i also have 80+ Titanium PSU, which is as efficient as it gets, while wasting as little electricity as excess heat as possible.
80+ gold tx 850, and the 225w is NOT counting the 3 monitors

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's physically impossible to cool something below ambient temperature by mechanical means.

A cooler, heatsink, fan blowing, that's a mechanical means. Air-conditioning, that's phase change, or liquid nitrogen etc is Chemical means. A normal pc/laptop uses neither, only mechanical.

Think about the word ambient. In a pc, a standard aircooler uses ambient temp air pushed through the heatsink. That air is not the outside in your room ambient, but the air inside the case. That applies to laptops as well, same concept. Which is why ppl are so insistant on good airflow. Good airflow lowers the ambient temp of the air around the cooler fan, lowers cpu temps.

Laptops have the absolute worst airflow of any computer on the planet. There's very little space for fans, airflow, sufficient heatsinking, so always run hot, even at idle.

200w at 50°C dumped into air as exhausted heat is going to have less impact on room temps over a long period of time than 100w of exhausted heat at 90°C in the same time period. Pc case temps rarely see above 50°C, so that's the temp being pushed out the back of the case. Laptops get far warmer than 50°C exhaust, it's just more concentrated, so will have a stronger, more immediate affect on room ambient temps.

Only cure for either is treating your room exactly the same as a pc, which intrinsically it is. You have a heatsource, in a box, it needs airflow. Put a fan in your window, blowing out of the box, and crack open your door.

Reactions: Aeacus

spanconstant5

Commendable
Apr 5, 2020
It's physically impossible to cool something below ambient temperature by mechanical means.

A cooler, heatsink, fan blowing, that's a mechanical means. Air-conditioning, that's phase change, or liquid nitrogen etc is Chemical means. A normal pc/laptop uses neither, only mechanical.

Think about the word ambient. In a pc, a standard aircooler uses ambient temp air pushed through the heatsink. That air is not the outside in your room ambient, but the air inside the case. That applies to laptops as well, same concept. Which is why ppl are so insistant on good airflow. Good airflow lowers the ambient temp of the air around the cooler fan, lowers cpu temps.

Laptops have the absolute worst airflow of any computer on the planet. There's very little space for fans, airflow, sufficient heatsinking, so always run hot, even at idle.

200w at 50°C dumped into air as exhausted heat is going to have less impact on room temps over a long period of time than 100w of exhausted heat at 90°C in the same time period. Pc case temps rarely see above 50°C, so that's the temp being pushed out the back of the case. Laptops get far warmer than 50°C exhaust, it's just more concentrated, so will have a stronger, more immediate affect on room ambient temps.

Only cure for either is treating your room exactly the same as a pc, which intrinsically it is. You have a heatsource, in a box, it needs airflow. Put a fan in your window, blowing out of the box, and crack open your door.
well, yes, I am aware you can't cool below ambient, but, the laptop should be outputting less heat, the 3070 is also more powerful, so I could cap at 60 or 144hz and it likely wouldn't run as hot, also, the laptop doesn't need external monitors with their own power supplies that produce heat

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Monitor is a monitor, doesn't matter if it's built into a laptop, all in one pc or a desktop. It still uses power, still radiates heat. Laptop monitor heat is radiated more through the screen than vented upwards, unless the laptop screen is also vented.

As is, laptop monitors can use upto @ 100w, desktop monitors generally use @ 35w-40w for equitable laptop sizes, but upto @ 100w for larger.

Tv's use somewhat more, since there's a lot more components inside using power.

There is a difference between a 3070 for the desktop and the 3070 used in a laptop.
The laptop 3070 is considerably stronger than your RX570, but the TDP(thermal designed power) is only 5w less. (115w vs 120w)
No savings, really, from heat generation.
Plus, you may not even get to use all the added graphics power if your laptop cpu throttles.

For much less cost, a GTX1650 would use75w and perform almost as well as the RX570.
I would not buy such a sideways performance move.
If you have a window in your room, buy a box fan to exhaust heated room air to make you more comfortable.

What is the make/model of your monitor?
An older monitor may well take 140w.
A modern monitor may take 40w to run.

spanconstant5

Commendable
Apr 5, 2020
There is a difference between a 3070 for the desktop and the 3070 used in a laptop.
The laptop 3070 is considerably stronger than your RX570, but the TDP(thermal designed power) is only 5w less. (115w vs 120w)
No savings, really, from heat generation.
Plus, you may not even get to use all the added graphics power if your laptop cpu throttles.

For much less cost, a GTX1650 would use75w and perform almost as well as the RX570.
I would not buy such a sideways performance move.
If you have a window in your room, buy a box fan to exhaust heated room air to make you more comfortable.

What is the make/model of your monitor?
An older monitor may well take 140w.
A modern monitor may take 40w to run.
not sure of exact part numbers, but they are all older dell monitors that I found in the ally
I think these are the ones:
https://a.co/d/8ALknxj
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3941886695...=2047675&ssuid=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

DSzymborski

Titan
A handful of watts here and there isn't going to be significantly less heat. Power is heat.

If you absolutely need to cool the room and you absolutely cannot cool the room by means such as air conditioning, then the best solution, honestly, is not playing games at home.

KyaraM

Admirable

I call that consumption claim fro TC into question, too. My system with a 12700k and 3070Ti draws 80-100W idle/browsing load, measured at the outlet. 200W idle would be twice that, far too high to be reasonable.

Reactions: Aeacus