[SOLVED] Laptop vs Desktop parts durability

Solution
If you need portability, buy a laptop.

Otherwise a desktop will be better.

Laptops have limited upgradeability.
Gaming laptops run hot due to the necessarily small cpu cooling system.
A desktop can use a larger/more immersive monitor.
If a desktop part fails, it is easier to replace parts.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
While there may be slight voltage variations to keep turbo stable, it is within spec and thermal regulated. Though, mid 80s to possibly 90c will still see full turbo without serious throttling, i would still feel uneasy at these temps which is pretty usual for 'gaming laptops' under heavy load. As for longevity, depending how much it's being used at full capacity, probably last it's warranty period. Beyond that is anyone's guess.

Re-applying paste might help if cooling solution isn't the greatest or lay the laptop on a cooling pad and block the under side edges with foam strips to focus more air through generated by the pad. Would want to research best laptop cooling designs. Often cpu & gpu share the same heatsink 🤔

kanewolf

Titan
I've been using the same desktop for years now, and I'm thinking of switching to a laptop exclusively. Problem is a for a lot of laptops the GPU and or CPU temps will run at 90 degrees or higher, I'm wondering how this affects the long term durability/performance? Also, does the "boost clock" on a laptop CPU increase the voltage?

I'm thinking of using an aftermarket thermal paste but other than that I'm not sure what can be done to ensure it lasts.
I wouldn't recommend an aftermarket thermal paste on a new laptop. The risk of damaging the laptop during assembly/disassembly is too great compared to the benefits, IMO. A laptop cooling pad with USB powered fans under the laptop is a much safer alternative.

Reactions: Phaaze88

boju

Titan
Ambassador
For your intended use case and if didn't need portability, i would avoid laptop and go a desktop. Money spent on a decent laptop can get a lot more performance in a desktop and be more productive. Not only for cooling wise but laptop components are never as fast as they could be because of thermal constraints and also limited in upgrades / additionals (more drives/SSDs etc) as you'd be aware.

Reactions: Phaaze88
If you need portability, buy a laptop.

Otherwise a desktop will be better.

Laptops have limited upgradeability.
Gaming laptops run hot due to the necessarily small cpu cooling system.
A desktop can use a larger/more immersive monitor.
If a desktop part fails, it is easier to replace parts.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Im not into video editing scene so it's just a guess that you might have a choice in which resolution to edit? Besides editing, the resolution itself wouldn't be a drain, it's more or less what is done with it.

Regarding an external monitor and cable, if Hdmi doesn't give you high refresh rate (some cases it doesn't), you might have to use USBc to Displayport. The Lenovo Legion 5 has the ports but just check it can also be used for video. Often it does nowadays using Displayport alt mode - plug and play.

Last edited:
If you need an external monitor, you will lose some portability.
Best to find a laptop with the screen you want.
They vary considerably in brightness.
If, by portability, you mean luggable, then look for a laptop with a larger 17" display.

One way to compare processor capability is to look up the passmark performance ratings. There will be two numbers. the total rating applies when all threads are 100% utilized.
That may not be possible, depending on how well threaded your apps are.
The second number is the single thread performance rating.
That is probably what you will appreciate the most in everyday usage.

Do you need a laptop with greater than 1080P resolution?
A screen with higher brightness and an ips panel will look the best to you.
Do you need one with a discrete graphics card for gaming?

To get an idea of what is possible, visit the lenovo web site and look for those units which can be customized.