Question laptop Wi-Fi antenna repair

Apr 23, 2024
a few weeks ago, the Wi-Fi signal began to deteriorate rapidly, I tried to update the drivers, and carry out other manipulations until I disassembled the laptop and saw that one of the antenna cables connected to the Wi-Fi adapter was broken. I want to replace the antenna completely, I am interested in your opinion whether to buy an antenna from the manufacturer or to find and buy a better one but of a different brand and whether it makes a difference which antenna to use, the original or improved

Not sure you find "better" ones. Antenna really are just small wires cut to a very special length the is a multiple of the radio frequency.
The issue will be ones that get more signal will be physically bigger. Can you get a bigger antenna to actually fit in the laptop.

Most wifi antenna are behind the screen. It can be quite a project to replace these on some machines. The hardest issue is they run through the hinges. There are many videos for most laptops on how to do it. It is mostly a tedious things not all that hard.

Apr 23, 2024
Not sure you find "better" ones. Antenna really are just small wires cut to a very special length the is a multiple of the radio frequency.
The issue will be ones that get more signal will be physically bigger. Can you get a bigger antenna to actually fit in the laptop.

Most wifi antenna are behind the screen. It can be quite a project to replace these on some machines. The hardest issue is they run through the hinges. There are many videos for most laptops on how to do it. It is mostly a tedious things not all that hard.
Therefore, installing a better antenna is impractical, but what about replacing it with another manufacturer, will it work? I want to replace it, because in my country, apart from the antennas that were used, others are not sold, and waiting for a new one from China or the USA for a month is also not very good...

If you can get them to fit they will likely work. The antenna connectors to the small wifi board are standard so different manufactures cables will work. The only thing to be careful of is there are 2 common connector types...I forget the exact names.
It depends if the wifi card is m.2 or if it is the much older half pcie card. The newer m.2 card uses a smaller connectors.

Key will be is the cable the correct length and if they did something like glue the antenna into the screen.

Reactions: GoJIyb