[SOLVED] Laptop wifi adapter in desktop

Lanereed01

Prominent
Feb 20, 2021
Hi, I have a laptop wifi adapter (m.2) with the antennae that were connected to it. I am building a desktop and was wondering if I could put the m.2 adapter in the other m.2 slot left on the motherboard? (the other will use an nvme m.2 drive) If so would attaching the antennae even work, if so would they improve the connectivity and range?

Solution
Yeah, I don't get why they have to screw with compatability. Some work in desktops while others don't. It's all m.2 so why they had to screw with the pinouts is beyond me. Do you know of a wifi adapter that has no antennae protruding out the back? If you don't that's fine I'd just like my build to look clean.
i dont personally off the top of my head however there are a few different antenna option other then just straight out the back one moment
Hi, I have a laptop wifi adapter (m.2) with the antennae that were connected to it. I am building a desktop and was wondering if I could put the m.2 adapter in the other m.2 slot left on the motherboard? (the other will use an nvme m.2 drive) If so would attaching the antennae even work, if so would they improve the connectivity and range?
No saddly the m.2 for wifi are keyed differently from memory m.2 and yes you are right about then antennas

Lanereed01

Prominent
Feb 20, 2021
Yeah, I don't get why they have to screw with compatability. Some work in desktops while others don't. It's all m.2 so why they had to screw with the pinouts is beyond me. Do you know of a wifi adapter that has no antennae protruding out the back? If you don't that's fine I'd just like my build to look clean.

i dont personally off the top of my head however there are a few different antenna option other then just straight out the back one moment

Solution