Question Laptop Wifi Card Driver Issue

Sir_William707

Reputable
Mar 7, 2017
Hope someone can help me here. I've been trying to fix my Wifi card on my laptop. It hasn't been working at all and has been throwing a status code 10 error in Device Manager. It seems to be a driver issue: I finally found that if I unplugged the battery and then reinstalled the correct driver, it would work again. However, once I restart the computer, Windows seems to install something else and it stops working. I found if I disable the Device Setup Manager service, it's okay. But I don't really want to keep that disabled. Do you think my only option is to just do a windows reset, or do you think the wifi card is actually bad? Thanks for the help!

Dell Inspiron 7586
Intel 9560 NGW R Wifi Card

Lutfij

Titan
With issues like these, you're first advised to look and see what BIOS version your laptop is currently on. Cross-reference the support site on Dell for your laptop to see if you have any BIOS updates pending. Second, make sure you're on the latest OS update, currently for Windows 10, we're on version 20H2. You should then look at sourcing the latest drivers from Dell's support site or from Intel and then install the drivers in an elevated command, manually, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. See if that alleviates your issue.

Sir_William707

Reputable
Mar 7, 2017
Hey, thanks for the reply! Windows update is all good. I did see that that there was a BIOS update, so I did that. Even after I updated the drivers in an elevated command though, it still stopped working once I restarted the computer :(

Sir_William707

Reputable
Mar 7, 2017
Just thought I'd post my fix for this problem I was having. So I ended up just buying another similar wifi card on Ebay for about 8 bucks, and it seems to have fixed the issue! Must have been a hardware problem at the root. Thank you to everyone, though, that sent some good advice!