[SOLVED] Laptop Wifi Card - Qualcomm DW1810 vs Intel 9560

Aug 29, 2019
Hi guys,

I am planning to buy a laptop for school with good specs so it lasts for a long time. I have a particular interest in Dell Inspiron 15 5584 that comes with a Qualcomm DW1810, does not have bluetooth 5.0, and does not seem quite fast. I am thinking about replacing it with the Intel 9560 and it seems compatible by their website (https://www.dell.com/support/manual...c30394-f35f-4f23-8d8b-8f8f6ac390e8&lang=en-us). Do you guys think it will work? My main concern is the number of antennas. I don't know how many it has, but it seems that I would be switching from 1x1 to 2x2.

The other option is to buy the Lenovo E590.

Best,
Luiz

Solution
Some laptop you must completely disassemble the machine to replace wifi others it is a simple cover on the back. You need to see how much work it is and decide if it is worth the chance to break a new laptop.

Adding antenna is almost impossible. The wires run though the hinge area to behind the screen. Even if you could find a second antenna that will fit taking apart the screen tends to be a massive undertaking on most laptops.

It tends to be simpler to just use a external USB wifi device.
Aug 29, 2019
I would probably go with Lenovo E590 since it also has faster ethernet, that can/will matter sometimes.
Changing wireless card can be problematic. Usually youtube reviews help with choosing. Write down pros/cons and then decide.

Some laptop you must completely disassemble the machine to replace wifi others it is a simple cover on the back. You need to see how much work it is and decide if it is worth the chance to break a new laptop.

Adding antenna is almost impossible. The wires run though the hinge area to behind the screen. Even if you could find a second antenna that will fit taking apart the screen tends to be a massive undertaking on most laptops.

It tends to be simpler to just use a external USB wifi device.

Solution