Laptop will not access desktop on network, nor join a homegroup

Tim_66

Commendable
May 9, 2016
My laptop and desktop are both running Windows 10. The laptop cannot access the desktop. The desktop can access the laptop. Neither will join a homegroup created by the other. I am entering the correct password to access the desktop from the laptop.It continues to tell me that it is an invalid username or password. Its not.

When trying to set up a homegroup I get the same response on both computers.

I leave the homegroups on both computers,shut them down, boot one up and create a homegroup. I boot the other one up and attempt to join available homegroup. I put in the homegroup password given by the computer that set it up and then I get a message saying that it couldn't find the homegroup that it just told me was there and asked if I wanted to join!!

I haven't even begun to factor in the desktop that is using XP. I thought the ones using the same OS would be easier. I was wrong.

I'd check the network settings in the Network and Sharing applet of the Control Panel under Advanced Sharing Settings. I've noticed that Microsoft has an annoying habit of changing those when they apply updates. When I change them back to the way I had them, my networking works again. Clever devils, those folks in Redmond, don't you think? :-(

Tim_66

Commendable
May 9, 2016
I have checked the network settings on both computers. Since posting I also have had no problem connecting both computers to the Windows XP desktop.

Still not able to connect the laptop to the windows 10 desktop.

TRENDING THREADS