[SOLVED] Laptop Windows installed on NVMe SSD alongside HDD for storage - Does AHCI or RST with optane make a difference?

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Hi all,

I recently got a new NVMe to be used for OS while my old HDD is for storage.

I realized I installed windows on the NVMe with AHCI mode on, and remembered something about how RST works better with 2 drives.

Is this true? Should I reinstall windows with RST with optane on or can I leave things as it is and format the HDD for storage with AHCI? Is there any performance difference with RST?

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Leave the system as it is.
OS and applications on the NVMe, other stuff on the HDD.

Optane?
Just....no.
Thank you, also when I wiped my HDD and installed windows on the SSD, I then downloaded crystal disk info to check the temperatures on my new NVMe but noticed my HDD had Reallocated sectors count to be "caution"

Before this I had done several tests on my HDD and used crystal disk info before, my HDD had NEVER had these cautions shown from crystal disk info while it was being used as my OS. Now I suddenly see errors and hear even more frequent clicking from my HDD from before.

I knew my HDD was likely faulty before but I don't understand why it's showing these signs the moment I got a new SSD and wiped the old HDD. The HDD is unformatted, do you think formatting it or doing a complete chkdsk /r can save it or is it hopeless?

https://prnt.sc/1pffzt0

Hi all,

I recently got a new NVMe to be used for OS while my old HDD is for storage.

I realized I installed windows on the NVMe with AHCI mode on, and remembered something about how RST works better with 2 drives.

Is this true? Should I reinstall windows with RST with optane on or can I leave things as it is and format the HDD for storage with AHCI? Is there any performance difference with RST?
Ahci is old and stable.
Rst seems to be a work in progress.

My limited testing with both modes did not show me a diff.

I set it to ahci and now I'm not fussin with rst updates.

Optane?
K.I.S.S.......no.