Question Laptop with 2070 getting 20fps on minecraft

Nov 1, 2019
Hi,
I have a laptop by MSI (GE75 Raider 8SF) and it is performing very poorly. I have tested it in many games and it has not performed as it should, getting around 50 fps in far cry 5 (1080p lowest settings) and down to 20 fps in Minecraft with optifine at lowest settings. I have reached out to MSI Support and they have told me to do many things but nothing has helped. I have also tried doing a full reset of my pc. Is there any way that it could be fixed or should I take it back?

Thanks,

Specs-
i7-8750H (6 cores and hyperthreading) which reached 3.9ghz under full load
2070 Non-Max-Q
Dual-Channel DDR4 2666 Ram (16gb total)
1TB HDD
250GB NVME

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What did Msi get you to try?

Does it run poorly if plugged into mains power?

Have you looked at power plans and prioritised gpu for individual games in NvidiaCP? And set to prefer maximum performance?

Have you checked cpu & gpu temps and speeds while gaming?

Nov 1, 2019
What did Msi get you to try?

Does it run poorly if plugged into mains power?

Have you looked at power plans and prioritised gpu for individual games in NvidiaCP? And set to prefer maximum performance?

Have you checked cpu & gpu temps and speeds while gaming?

Thanks for the reply,
I have done all of the following that MSI has told me to do.
  1. Set Windows power scheme to High performance
  2. Enabled Sport Mode is MSI Dragon Center
  3. Set my 2070 to the default graphics card used for each game, as well as it being default.
  4. Updated Windows.
  5. Updated Bios and EC Firmware
  6. Installed drivers for Intel and Nvidia drivers
  7. Clean installed MSI Dragon Center

I have my laptop plugged into mains power while gaming with the default charger. My GPU temps are around 70°C and my CPU is quite high, from 90°C to 98°C. The CPU clocks are at 4.9, but throttle to somewhere around 2.5 when the temps get near 100°C. The GPU is running around 1100ghz under load. The thing that confused me was that on Minecraft I checked and the CPU was running at temps around 50°C, and still getting low temps. Thanks again for helping me with this.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
90c+ is concerning. Did Msi ask questions about thermals?

I know you said even when not throttling, you have loss of frames but Minecraft can be a mixed bag. Have you tried other games where cpu doesn't reach high temps?

A throttling cpu is a massive hit on performance. Not just frequency but IPC as well (Instructions per clock) and with that, cpu can't pre-render as many frames for the gpu and other game code calculations slow down.

I suggest investing in a cooling pad for your laptop. There are many models available.

5845304_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

For now, try lowering Maximum cpu state and test with Asus's Realbench and see if you can find a sweet spot between performance and temps without throttling. Lowering maximum processor state is found in advanced options in your power plan profile. Try first around 70%.

Image from internet.

maxprocessor-state.png

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019
90c+ is concerning. Did Msi ask questions about thermals?

I know you said even when not throttling, you have loss of frames but Minecraft can be a mixed bag. Have you tried other games where cpu doesn't reach high temps?

A throttling cpu is a massive hit on performance. Not just frequency but IPC as well (Instructions per clock) and with that, cpu can't pre-render as many frames for the gpu and other game code calculations slow down.

I suggest investing in a cooling pad for your laptop. There are many models available.

5845304_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

For now, try lowering Maximum cpu state and test with Asus's Realbench and see if you can find a sweet spot between performance and temps without throttling. Lowering maximum processor state is found in advanced options in your power plan profile. Try first around 70%.

Image from internet.

maxprocessor-state.png
Thanks heaps,
I will mess around with that and try the cooling pad on my laptop. If that doesn't work I might take it back, I still have the warranty.

Thanks again

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Cooling pads are recommended for performance laptops like these. Trouble with these laptops is the cpu & gpu often share the same heat pipe. Kind of a design flaw really, but yeah, if you can get a good cooling pad that'll blow air where it's needed, it should help.

Another idea to improve cooling pad air flow is stick sponge strips under the laptop to block any gaps so most of the air goes through the laptop instead of losing some out the sides.