[SOLVED] Laptop with AMD FreeSync Premium and a Nvidia card

dxhcom

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
Hi, I bought a Lenovo Legion 5 laptop. It has a AMD CPU and RTX 3060 GPU. In its website, the display part says "AMD FreeSync™ Premium". What does it mean? How can I enable the freesync?
In the Nvidia control panel, there is no G-sync option. I updated everything I can think of, but still no luck. I searched online and contacted Lenovo technical support, but no one has the answer to my issue.
Here is the link to the laptop webpage. Legion 5 17” Gaming Laptop with AMD Ryzen | Lenovo US
Thank you very much!!

Solution
"AMD FreeSync™ Premium". What does it mean? How can I enable the freesync?
Freesync is AMD's version of Adaptive Sync, as G-Sync is Nvidia's version.
"Freesync Premium" is AMD's highest iteration of it available, as "G-Sync Ultimate" is Nvidia's.

You wouldn't be enabling Freesync, you would be enabling G-Sync that would be using the Freesync tech available.

a Freesync Premium display should be G-Sync Compatible.
In the Nvidia control panel, there is no G-sync option
in NCP left-side menu under Display there should be a "Set up G-SYNC" option.

if you don't see it;
are you using GPU software offered by Lenovo or have downloaded the latest driver & software version available directly from Nvidia?

if the product...
"AMD FreeSync™ Premium". What does it mean? How can I enable the freesync?
Freesync is AMD's version of Adaptive Sync, as G-Sync is Nvidia's version.
"Freesync Premium" is AMD's highest iteration of it available, as "G-Sync Ultimate" is Nvidia's.

You wouldn't be enabling Freesync, you would be enabling G-Sync that would be using the Freesync tech available.

a Freesync Premium display should be G-Sync Compatible.
In the Nvidia control panel, there is no G-sync option
in NCP left-side menu under Display there should be a "Set up G-SYNC" option.

if you don't see it;
are you using GPU software offered by Lenovo or have downloaded the latest driver & software version available directly from Nvidia?

if the product description doesn't mention G-Sync Compatible anywhere then you may just be stuck with no Adaptive Sync options available.

Solution

dxhcom

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
Thank you so much for you reply!
I updated both Lenovo software and Nvidia GeForce experience driver.
The website and the specs sheet do not mention the G-Sync.

However, both say FreeSync. It must mean something. It would be a fraud if they say FreeSync, but it is not available on the laptop.
If that is the case, I probably will return it. I plan to go the store I bought it (MicroCenter) to ask today.

Thank you again!

However, both say FreeSync. It must mean something. It would be a fraud if they say FreeSync, but it is not available on the laptop.
unless using an AMD card Freesync does not matter.
you cannot use it's features with an Nvidia card, unless it is also "G-Sync Compatible".
I updated both Lenovo software and Nvidia GeForce experience driver.
you do not want to use the graphics drivers or software provided by Lenovo.
you want to use the Nvidia specific software and drivers. and if you're not making use of any of the included GeForce Experience options do not install that either.
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

uninstall any Lenovo graphics related software or drivers and use only the package provided directly from the Nvidia site.

NVIDIA GPUs can enable G-Sync on any FreeSync monitor. The whole "G-Sync Compatible" is simply a badge that NVIDIA allows display manufacturers to slap on if NVIDIA verified that said display works to their specifications. It's merely a quality control process, because NVIDIA wants people to believe that G-Sync is a premium feature.

I have a FreeSync monitor that is not labeled as "G-Sync Compatible", but I can still enable G-Sync on it and as far as I can tell, it works.

dxhcom

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
Thanks for the comments, everyone!
I went to the store. I asked the salesperson about the whole "FreeSync" thing. He said it just working for my laptop. Nothing needs to change and nothing can change. It is hidden behind the scene. I was not convinced by that, so I exchanged for a slightly different model but the same price. It works easily now.
The lesson I learned is that these laptops look really similar, but many hidden differences.....

Thank everyone again!