[SOLVED] Laptop with an SSHD always freezes ?

May 28, 2021
Almost two years ago I bought an ASUS laptop (TUF FX505-GE) with a SSHD (ST1000LX015-1U7172).

As I started using the computer more and more, I noticed that Windows10 was constantly freezing with 100% disk usage (even though task manager said it used max 1MB/s for whatever process was making the usage high); the boot time of the computer itself was not bad, at best it was 6s, at worst max 9s. After booting and writing entering the PIN code for windows log-in, it takes like 2 minutes to actually get to the desktop. Not to mention that the first 5 minutes after which Windows starts, the computer it's basically useless. It takes seconds to open up the File Explorer, Browsers, etc. Having to do a restart of my pc takes usually more than 10 minutes after I can get back to whatever thing I was working on.

Having to work with this hard-drive it's honestly exhausting an I've run out of options for what the problem might be. One would think that the hard-drive may be faulty but if that was the case, wouldn't this be visible in the actual boot time? Also I did a lot of tests with CrystalDiskMark and CrystalDiskInfo and nothings seems out of the ordinary.
I also doubt Windows is the problem, since I've reinstalled it more than 10 times so far.

Another thing that gives me thinking is that I have another computer older than 6 years, for which I paid ~300$. That computer seems to handle GTA Multiplayer fine (except for the ocasional fps-drops that are attributed to the GPU) but on my computer is honestly unplayable. The last time I played on Multiplayer the disk usage was constantly 100% and everything was basically freezing, meanwhile in the Singleplayer, that's not the case. So I doubt that a computer that old, with inferior hardware is actually outperforming my computer for which I paid ~1000$. And since the freezing on my computer happens only in Multiplayer, I doubt there's hardware issue.

TLDR: Windows constantly freezes. Boot time seems fine. CrystalDisk info seems also fine. Here is the screenshots ( View: https://imgur.com/a/iZ9DC7s
).

Solution
Seagate has a diagnostic tool called seatools.
You could run that to see if your HDD has problems.

But, really, I would not bother.
Buy a samsung 1tb 870 evo for about $115 and move all to the ssd using the samsung ssd migration tool.
Instructions and app here:

A SSD will absolutely transform the quickness of your laptop.

If the hdd tests our ok, repurpose it as an external backup device.
But, newegg shows some 23% 1 egg reviews for that device; not very good.
My guess is this is just the SSHD. It only has an 8GB SSD portion that the most frequently used files will be stored, that may not even be enough for frequently accessed Windows files. All other data is read from the slow 5400rpm drive. Also from what I read SSHD’s are more prone to having a shorter life.

But, really, I would not bother.
Buy a samsung 1tb 870 evo for about $115 and move all to the ssd using the samsung ssd migration tool.
Instructions and app here:

A SSD will absolutely transform the quickness of your laptop.

If the hdd tests our ok, repurpose it as an external backup device.
But, newegg shows some 23% 1 egg reviews for that device; not very good.

Solution
May 28, 2021
how full is the disk?
check the ram usage? malware scan the system?
The booting drive is around 50% used, but this happens even on a clean windows install. The others are like 30% used.
RAM usage is fine. No malwares.

I already did. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Could it be some faulty drivers? In device manager for Storage Controllers I only have Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller. On the manufacter's website I could not find any drivers that might have something to do with with the hard-drive.

I am no expert on interpreting the seatools outputs.
That said, I see a number of things that exceed the threshold numbers.
That includes read errors, uncorrectable errors, airflow temperature, seek error rate.
Also a high number of reallocated sectors.
I think your hdd is dying and you best recover your data while you still can.

May 28, 2021
I am no expert on interpreting the seatools outputs.
That said, I see a number of things that exceed the threshold numbers.
That includes read errors, uncorrectable errors, airflow temperature, seek error rate.
Also a high number of reallocated sectors.
I think your hdd is dying and you best recover your data while you still can.
How do you interpret that data? I would have done it myself, had I known how to.

I was looking at the threshold column which I surmise might be the number above which there may be issues.
Seagate makes a hash out of smart data.
I think the only thing your image shows is 3 seek errors.

You should consider as has been mentioned replacing the hdd with a ssd.
That will give a big bump in perf.
If it still does not work correct then you go chase drivers and stuff that is running.