Question Laptop with and without GPU power draw, heating and battery remaining time comparison

bomberb17

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
I have the following two laptops:
A) Dell Latitude 5500 - i7 8665U @1.9GHz - 16GB RAM - 512GB NVME SSD
B) HP Pavilion 15 - i7 1065G7 @1.3 GHz base frequency, up to 3.9 GHz - 16GB RAM - GeForce MX250 - 1TB NVME SSD + 1TB 5400rpm SATA HDD

Both laptops are relatively new (both 2020 models) and run Windows 11.
My question is on how long their power usage - heating - battery time, and I see huge differences in similar work environments (i.e. light desktop browsing)
Laptop A battery lasts around 8 hours, maybe more. It doesn't get hot at all, no fan noise, completely silent, and I can easily hold it on my lap without issue.
Laptop B is much worse. A battery charge lasts around 1.5 hour at most. Even at idle (i.e. just a browser window open), the fans can be heard and it gets hot, and cannot hold it on my lap without using something like a book or magazine in between.

This huge difference does not make any sense to me. CPUs have similar TDP
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i7-8665U-vs-Intel-i7-1065G7/3434vs3466
The SATA HDD is surely not responsible for this.
The only difference is the GPU, but I'm not playing any games that use it anyway in this comparison.
To rule out any hidden processes (or malware, even though the laptop runs Nod32 and I monitor task manager for everything), I can dual-boot Laptop B into Ubuntu 20.04, and the huge power draw - heat - short battery time when idle is the same there as well.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Yeah the one made for gaming gets hot because of the GeForce graphics card

The HP laptop is going to use the most power and run the hotest Because of the graphics card and the drives that are in it

bomberb17

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
Ok but I just don't understand why a laptop just by having a dedicated GPU means that huge difference in power consumption (even when the system is idle and not using the GPU at all!)

So is this a general rule? i.e. a laptop with a dedicated GPU is much more power-inefficient compared to one with just Intel graphics even when idle?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS