laptop with built in msata screwing with my ssd win 7 install

back2pc

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
basically i bought a fujitsu uh572 which has a built in 32gb msata ssd.

i replaced the mechanical 500gb with 128gb ssd samsung 840 pro.

when i go to install win 7, it sees 2 drives the samsung and the built in.

even though i select the samsung ssd for install, the system file partition is made on the 32gb built in causing a bootmgr failure on restart.

Solution
This probably happens because the first physical driver is the old ssd, try to disable the old ssd from laptop's bios setup. Then try to install.

back2pc

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013

the samsung appears in my bios but not the msata.
however the msata appears in the menu for win 7 install.

spigias

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
windows 7 can see msata but in bios there is no option? this weird you can try to update your laptop firmware . or if you are hardcore you can unscrew the back of your laptop and remove to connection cable from msata ssd(or the ssd altogether).

back2pc

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
if nobody else comes with a easier solution i will probably attempt that. i just dont want to void warranty so quickly lol
i did spot the msata sitting underneath the ram slots when i upgraded the ram.l

back2pc

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
Problem solved:
Took it into a fujitsu center and its a bios problem that makes the onboard ssd conflict with 3rd party internal ssd .
They are going to try to disable the onboard using their own tech.

Warning to anyone buying Fujitsu laptops and thinking they can upgrade the HDD to ssd.

Pertti

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014
Found this thread while searching answer to my problem, that isn't exactly the same as original poster. Maybe somebody else will do the same, so maybe this will help somebody else.

I have uh572 version where there is 128GB SSD. I tried to make a fresh install of Windows 7. While doing that I found out, that my computer had also this 32GB msata disk inside of it. I removed all the OEM partitions and tried to take this 32GB also in use. After that I tried to install Windows 7. Install went ok every time, but after the installation, computer was not able to boot. The 100MB "boot partition" was every time on the msata drive no mather what I tried to select on the installation. I was finally able to boot after doing this (I am not sure, if all of this was necessery or even useful...):
I run the Windows 7 installation and selected Repair and the opened command prompt there.
In command prompt I executed:
bcdboot C:\windows /s C:
then I run diskpart and used clean command to remove the 100MB partition from msata drive and created new partition there with
create partition primary
and then made it inactive with command
inactive
then I selected the 128 GB SSD drive and the primary partition and executed
active

After this the computer was able to boot.

tomtentp

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015

Thank you very much. This helped me install Windows 7 UH572 with a new SSD.

I was going to try and remove the 32GB MSATA but I could not find it. I bought the computer in scond hand and I think the former user might have removed it. I should be in the WWAN slot (right?) which was empty. Or could the MSATA be hidden somewhere inside the computer which isn't visible by only removing the cover?

Vadym Ianchuk

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015