Laptop with mobility ATI 4500+ with intel C2D for under 1000 CAD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
HI, guys, I want to know if there is a laptop that carries some ATI 4500+ gfx and is under 1000 CAD (consider 900 USD) with intel C2D (T or P)

If not, what is the price point of these units? The previously reported VAIO NW with 4570 for 880 is a no show up here in the land of the polar bear, so yay....

1_What is your budget?
1000 CAD
2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
anything above 10 inches
3_What screen resolution do you want?
anything works
4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
anything
5_How much battery life do you need?
4 hours would be nice, but not needed at all if the gfx is up to snuff
6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
sure, like said, HD4500 series (would like a 4570 or better)
7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.)
C/C++/Java/assembly compilation, internet
8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
anything above 80 for HDD, anything above 20 for SSD
9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
no
10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
4 years
11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
none, as long as specs is up to snuff and there is a good warranty on it then i'm good to go.
13_What country do you live in?
Canada

Solution
^Ok, I can understand not wanting to get burned again.

The Dell Studio 15 I mentioned above is about the best that fits your requirements and price range that I could find from canadian sites. However, XoticPC sells two models with HD4650's that are under $1000 USD (Both are around 700 actually). Not sure what that translates into Canadian currency, but they are worth looking into IMO. And Xotic does indeed ship to Canada.

First two on this page: http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-laptops-notebooks-laptops-with-video-cards-ct-95_51_177.html

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
Do i need to change the name to something like help or less specific or more like someone who have no clue on what to get to get more replies?

Or is there just not enough ATI gfx out there and nvidia is the choice even if they have the bumpgate issue?

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
Well nvidia's little bump gate has one burned 6100 in our house that HP won't replace at all, and that is completely full of ***...

not to mention current GT200 mobile are not GT200 desktop parts, while the 48xx and 45xx parts are desktop parts with reduced power req...

^Ok, I can understand not wanting to get burned again.

The Dell Studio 15 I mentioned above is about the best that fits your requirements and price range that I could find from canadian sites. However, XoticPC sells two models with HD4650's that are under $1000 USD (Both are around 700 actually). Not sure what that translates into Canadian currency, but they are worth looking into IMO. And Xotic does indeed ship to Canada.

First two on this page: http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-laptops-notebooks-laptops-with-video-cards-ct-95_51_177.html

Solution

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
Hmm the xoticpc seems to be something nice

how are their driver support, i see a no OS option (fine for me lol), does that mean they use all standard parts and i should get drivers from the vender (like ati)?

also, how are their quality? they seems to be a barebone maker rather than something big.

and I will call them to confirm their shippibility to canada.

thanks very much if this works out

also, estimated battery life on this thing? with only a 1.8 Ghz C2D, should it run for at least 2 hours? or is the puny 6 cell a death blow and this is a DTR more so than a reg deal?

^They send you a driver CD with the system if you choose the "no OS" option. Worst case scenario they provide a link to the laptop manufacturer's website should you need to get drivers from them. Basically the only drivers I update myself are graphics card drivers ( I usually use laptopvideo2go or get them off of NVidia's webesite). Also note though, that I didn't purchase from Xotic so I can't give any personal experience.

Quality depends on the unit that they are using for a specific build. The two systems I linked to you are Compal systems and are decent quality. Xotic also sells systems from MSI, Sager and Asus.

As far as battery life, I wouldn't think it'd be that bad. I'd say 2 hours would be a decent guess. Though honestly, I would go with a faster CPU especially for photo editing.

and I'm not sure what you mean by DTR?

Status
Not open for further replies.