Laptop with note-taking capability

Ship

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
I'm looking for a new laptop, and I came across this: HP Spectre x360 - 13-4030ca Convertible PC

I'm going to be using it mostly for school work and media streaming, some gaming (minecraft) but nothing extremely cpu intensive (I hope minecraft isn't?). My main purpose in chosing a convertible touch is so I can take handwritten notes in class (microsoft oneNote).

Here are the specs: Windows 8.1 64 (Does anyone know if it can be upgraded to windows 10? Also what is 64?) Intel® Core™ i7-5500U with Intel HD Graphics 5500 (2.4 GHz, 4 MB cache, 2 cores) (Would 2.4 GHz be slow for my purposes?; Is 4 MB cache good?) 13.3" diagonal FHD Radiance Infinity LED-backlit touch screen (1920 x 1080) ---is this good enough for writing fine notes? 8 GB DDR3L-1600 SDRAM (onboard) 256 GB mSATA SSD (What is SSD? Is the storage a good size?)

I'm wondering if this will: 1) Fit my purpose well 2) It's worth the price (approx $1500) 3) If there's any alternatives that would be better (cheaper priced tablet with note taking capabiliy, microsoft oneNote, enough storage + laptop that I can transfer the notes onto)

Thanks in advance!

G

1- Microsoft has pushed through the update that allows you to upgrade.So yes as long as you install the update you will be able to upgrade.
2-"64"as you call is actually called "64 bit".This brutally simplifiyed means that the given CPU has a 64 bit data bus, which is twice as much as 32 bit.One main advantage of 64 bit computing is that it allows for a lot more RAM to be installed.And I mean A LOT MORE.With 32 bit computer your max RAM is 4GB, your max with 64 bit your RAM max is 17 MILLION GIGABYTES OF FRIKNG RAM.
3-Well I have a laptop with the same CPU and it runs Minecraft really decently. Solid 30 FPS, sometimes hits 70 depending on what's happening.
4-FHD is Full High Definition, meaning it has a flawless display with it's 1920x1080 pixel range.
5-SSD? Oh boy you are going to be blown away.SSD stands for Solid State Drive, and as the name suggests, it has no moving parts, which HDDs have.One big advantage of SSDs is that they have no moving parts, which mean you can SLAM THAT SUCKER ON THE GROUND AND IT WILL BE FINE, since there are no moving parts nothing is going to get damaged.One other advantage that is followed by the no moving parts thing, is that, the SSD doesn't rely on an arm to move around to access data.Some people have reported that their systems boot up in 5 secounds.5 SECONDS FOR A BOOT! CRAZY STUFF! So if you can afford one, get one.And size, depends on what programs are you going to be using.
6-Yes, this laptop is perfect for you.If the OS doesn't come with a Stickynote program you can get one.
7-It's worth the price.Think about it. You are getting an U series CPU which is a low power CPU, with pretty beefy power, an SSD, which are insane, AND a crystal clean touchscreen.