[SOLVED] Laptop with switchable graphics, missing discrete gpu device manager

madchickendog

Prominent
May 10, 2019
Hi,

I have an older laptop Envy 17t-3200 it comes with onboard HD4000 and Radeon HD7850m.

I noticed recently the gpu missing in AMD Control Catalyst Center, tried uninstalling/reinstalling drivers from mfg website.
Then eventually noticed the gpu is missing in device manager including looking under hidden devices option.
During troubleshooting I made the mistake of disabling the HD4000 and renabling it, it no longer has the intel hd400 0 drivers and I tried to use the mfg drivers but it wont install because it cant detect the discrete, so im unable to update either driver.

I would like to get the HD7850 workings again but I hope at the very least I can somehow install the HD4000 drivers which I am unsuccessfully able to do.

Please advise.

I have once changed the battery, I dont believe I disconnected anything but I imagine discrete gpus are soldered on so that wouldnt be possible?
also limited bio options nothing in regards to gpu options.

Solution
Are you trying to install drivers from AMDs page or from HPs support page? If you're trying to install drivers from AMD, there's a good chance that won't work the way you want. AMD drivers do not take into account any limitations that HP may have put in place (such as power requirements) and thus do not allow (or work correctly with) drivers from AMD. Your best bet is to only install drivers from HP.

-Wolf sends

tjbumbico

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2015
I'm not totally sure how the bios read on that machine. Can you check to see if the hardware shows in the bios? See if it can be enable/disabled. Have you tried a restore point?

madchickendog

Prominent
May 10, 2019
I'm not totally sure how the bios read on that machine. Can you check to see if the hardware shows in the bios? See if it can be enable/disabled. Have you tried a restore point?

It did not show up in bios unfortunately and I dont have any restore points, what I ended up having to do to partially resolve the issue was download HP drivers of an entirely differently model for the Intel HD4000 as the ones directly from intel did not work and manually locate the drivers to install.

Unfortunately I think the gpu on the board is just defective at this point, not sure how else I can troubleshoot it.

So as of now IntelHD4000 works but HD7850m is missing entirely.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Are you trying to install drivers from AMDs page or from HPs support page? If you're trying to install drivers from AMD, there's a good chance that won't work the way you want. AMD drivers do not take into account any limitations that HP may have put in place (such as power requirements) and thus do not allow (or work correctly with) drivers from AMD. Your best bet is to only install drivers from HP.

-Wolf sends

Solution

TRENDING THREADS