Laptop with two GPUs, Should I disable the dedicated one ?

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
So My laptop has two GPUs GTX 1050ti and Intel HD integrated GPU...I intend to use the laptop for programming under Linux...it turns out that Linux has issues with dual GPUs and that I have to disable the GTX1050ti..My question is, if I only keep the Intel HD graphics, Will it generate a lot of heat which will throttle down the CPU ? I have heard that 1050ti generates more heat....

Also, is Intel HD graphics adequate for coding ?

Many Thanks

Solution
If you're just using that PC for simple code and not meddling with Machine Learning or anything that would use the GPU, the HD graphics is more than enough for you day-by-day use.

Nevertheless, IMHO is a waste to disable the dedicated GPU since you already paid for it... I'd try to fix the drivers issues or anything before disabling it, most of issues are well-known and their solutions are kinda-easy.

Still, the GPU, of course, consumes more energy therefore generate more heat, but that's nothing that you should be worried off unless you're looking at blocking the coolers outputs or saving every peny on your energy bill...

With that said, the GPU doesn't slow the CPU in any possible way, unless we're talking about gaming, but that's...

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
"Which CPU do you have?"
i7-7700HQ

Which laptop model?
DELL Inspiron 15 Gaming 7567

"If you are not taking advantage of the GTX 1050ti the disable it."

Will I ever need the 1050ti for running m,ultiple IDEs and web browser instances ? or maybe GIMP and inkscape ?

"It uses more power and generate more heat than the integrated Intel GPU."

so 1050ti slows the CPU more than the Intel HD ?

manddy123

Admirable
If you're just using that PC for simple code and not meddling with Machine Learning or anything that would use the GPU, the HD graphics is more than enough for you day-by-day use.

Nevertheless, IMHO is a waste to disable the dedicated GPU since you already paid for it... I'd try to fix the drivers issues or anything before disabling it, most of issues are well-known and their solutions are kinda-easy.

Still, the GPU, of course, consumes more energy therefore generate more heat, but that's nothing that you should be worried off unless you're looking at blocking the coolers outputs or saving every peny on your energy bill...

With that said, the GPU doesn't slow the CPU in any possible way, unless we're talking about gaming, but that's a whole different matter.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS