Question Laptop with XEON E3-1505 v5 ?

May 19, 2022
This is first time I see laptops with XEON processors (ok, im not much into laptop stuff, but thinking about buying one).
Laptop is Dell Precision 5520
  • QUAD CORE XEON E3-1505 v5
  • RAM DDR4 - 32GB 2400MHz
  • SSD - 1TB NVMe
  • nVidia QUADRO M1200M - 2GB
And my question is (as I belive each CPU is good for different things): What is this configuration is designed for/what will it excel at ?

JWNoctis

Notable
Jun 9, 2021
This is a mobile workstation.

Brief search seemed to say the only improvement that Xeon processor had over their Core counterpart in the same generation, i7-6820HQ, is 100MHz higher base and boost clock. The only other difference appeared to be the branding and ECC memory support, though it's unspecified if this laptop had the latter.

Quadro M1200 is basically the professional version of GTX 960M. Given how it's supposed to be a thin-and-light workstation laptop, more powerful components would have been beyond their cooling capability, anyway.

Some configurations had a 100% Adobe P3 touchscreen display at 4K resolution, which would have been nice for graphics work.

May 19, 2022
Maybe I shoud've writtern it in question. I'm a programmer, I use programs that do heavy code analysis and caching into memory for instant autocomplete. Scan disks, changes in files, put in RAM etc. Wonder if such operations would benefit from Xeon.

JWNoctis

Notable
Jun 9, 2021
If by heavy code analysis and caching you meant things like IntelliJ IDEA, then this should be more than enough. 32GB of memory and 1TB SSD are pretty great even by today's standards.

No Xeon had any additional feature I know of that would specifically benefit such a use case. You'd probably see more improvement with recent-generation processors that featured better core count, single thread performance, and memory bandwidth. Something like a 5600H or a 12th-gen mobile Core i5, perhaps.

If you need more memory, you can do your own memory upgrade in most not-too-slim laptops, though (depending on specifics) that may void the warranty.

In my experience, a laptop past 5-yo is typically on its last legs, though ones with higher build quality may do better.

ASK THE COMMUNITY