Laptop with XP wont connect to my wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.

creatureman

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
I have a wireless actiontec dsl modem(desktop puter vista). I made a wireless network for my xbox live and it works no problem. But when I try to connect using my older laptop(XP SP2) it sees the signal but wont connect! The error says cant connect to the network, no longer in range maybe etc, but its 15 yards away with full bars..lol. I can connect and leach off other networks fine? But the one in my own house! WTF. Any ideas where to start, Thanks

G

If the laptop is quite old it may only have 802.11b wireless adapter -- check that the router's wireless mode is g&b.

Also try turning off wireless security in the router temporarily.

creatureman

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
If the laptop is quite old it may only have 802.11b wireless adapter -- check that the router's wireless mode is g&b.

Also try turning off wireless security in the router temporarily.

This might sound dumb, im new to the wireless thing, but i dont have a wireless router. My DSL Modem has wireless gateway . Thats the same as a router correct? I mean i can see teh freeking sigal in my avaiable networks, I just cant connect? Thanks 4 the help

PaulR08

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Do you have any other computers besides the Xbox setup on the network? Change the workgroup name on all computers to the same one. Check the security settings on the router to see if a passphrase or network key is set.

creatureman

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
No i dont have any other computers set up on the network. someone on another board said I might need to manually set up my laptop because its XP? IDK how to do that. Well i used the add wireless network with the usb thing, but that says its not supported on the XP laptop, I just dont understand why the xbox wirless adapter hooks up to xbox live but my laptop can't.

PaulR08

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
This article from Microsoft may help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908972. There could be interference with the wireless network in your house from other wireless devices. Check to see if the antenna is in a high location, not damaged and the LED status lights are correct.

G

The laptop probably doesn't connect because you haven't set the wireless in it to match the wireless of the modem (or vice versa).

To set up the laptop wireless you can use Windows' Networking or the utility which came with the adapter.

See if you can link the laptop to the modem via an ethernet cable. If the laptop lacks an ethernet network adapter, buy one (PCMCIA or USB). You often need ethernet to set up networking equipment, even if you eventually use wireless.

The modem will probably have some sort of setup interface you can address to set up wireless so it works with the laptop -- you may need to download a manual for the modem from the manufacturer or the ISP.

creatureman

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
Thanks all ,I will play with it and get back to you. BTW the laptop has a built in wireless adapter. I can get other signals, leaching etc, fine. I will try the ethernet cable and then look into the xbox wireless adapter as possible interference. I know is probably something simple but its pissing me off..lol

G

creature man i feel your pain, i am going through the same thing as you right now, and if you figure it out would you please let me know what you did thanks

G

Hey,
your problem isnt hardware but software. go to DEVICE MANAGER
look for you (NETWORK ADAPTER) after that you should see a broadcom adapter.
right click it and uninstall it. then right click on (Network ADAPTER AGAIN) and click on (Scan for hardware changes).

After all that. you are good to go because when you try to connect again you computer will ask you for the network password :) HA!

fqendro480

Honorable
May 3, 2012
OMG I have the same issue, the computer would act is if connecting to wifi without even prompting the password key. I removed the security, and connected it, then added the security back in! It worked!

Sanaan Barzinji

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
[Solved] i was lucky enough we had two spare laptops of the same brand, dell latitude E6420, so what i did was i replaced wireless adapter and connected with another computer,after that test it was still not working, then after that i become sure that the problem is hardware, it's not related to OS, or driver, i have already done all these tests for almost 3 days, i searched lots of forums, i believe you also need to do some tests, until you'll be sure that you're last chance is to test hardware, that would surely be replacement for your wireless adapter........... best regards, Sanaan Barzinji Erbil, Iraq

Status
Not open for further replies.